PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Speeds

SteelyDon
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
How much does trolling speed really matter?? I have a 25hp Merc 4 stroke "New" and seem to go anywhere between 1.9-2.8 and have been toplining and catching lake salmon & trout out of Folsom & Oroville for 3 months now. Some days 2 & some days 8. My New GPS is at 0.4 mph when my boat is sitting in my garage so with that said, my 2.8 might actually be 2.4. If I'm going 2.5-2.9 I tend to make "S" patterns to slow lures down. How critical is speed and is a trolling plate really needed and/or a good investment???

Fishbucket
05-10-2010, 07:37 PM
You can toss out a bucket or 2 out the back to get your speed down.

If your using dodgers you'll need to get under 2 mph. or they will just spin and not dodge back and forth. Rapalas like to go bettween 2-3 mph.

Yosemite Sam
05-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Buckets are a pain!! Invest in a nice trolling plate like the "Easy Troller Trolling Plate" Cabella's or Bass Pro has them.

YS

GOLDENTROUT
05-11-2010, 04:26 PM
First, when trolling I only use my gps to maintain a speed. Run your lure next to the boat and get your speed set on how the lure runs. Then look at the gps, then just keep the boat going that speed. To slow down I run a big drift sock right off the bow. It works great most of the time, like 97%.
Oh yea, "How much does trolling speed really matter??" It's a major factor in catching and not!!!

Weez
05-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Goldentrout is quite right. Speed is VERY important. At the speeds your boat goes, you're fine for trolling Rapalas and many types of spoons, but you're going way too fast for proper presentation of say, a dodger and nightcrawler or a flatfish. These offerings should be pulled at .8 to 1.5 MPH in most cases for best results. Get the trolling plate or add an electric trolling motor.

As far as the inaccuracy of your GPS, this is California, maybe your garage IS moving at .4 MPH (faultline, mudslide?). Ha.

Waterdog
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
With a 25hp you should be able to troll much slower no sweat. Perhaps the idle is too high. You can troll sling blades at higher speeds. Since your gps is new I suggest that you return it for one that works right.
Waterdog:smile:

Don
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I have a trolling plate on my 15hp Honda,And I use it all the time.It is great for Silver Lake. Some times going slow for a long time it wants to load up. You can really get to the rigt speed with on.
Got mine at Fishermans Warehouse. For mine it was less then $100. Get one,You wont regret it
Don