PDA

View Full Version : Navionics Hotmaps Platinum 2010

Lucas Edwards
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Can anyone tell me about Navionics Hotmaps? Sometime in the future, I want to uprage the electronics on my boat and this program looks really cool. I am a little confused about it though. Is the program strictly for your boat electronics or is it a program that you can use on your home computer as well? I would love to browse maps of all the lakes I fish, learn about all the under water contours and be able to print maps at home. Can I do that with this program or would I just be wasting $200 on something that is only good for electronics that I don't even own yet? If anybody out there has any feedback on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Radical
05-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Navionics maps suck for using on your computer. They can't be loaded to your pc unless you buy their special caed reader. Each time you want to look at the maps you have to pull the chip out og your fishfinder put it into the card reader and then load it up.

Then you can remove the chip and put it back. If you never completely close the progran down or shut your pc down you are Ok. If you do either of those things you have to re-load the maps.

You can't make a copy of the chip and use it to load up the map. I'm always afraid I will go on a trip and leave the chip home so I don't use it that much any more. Just a pain in the butt.

ReelJerks
05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't use Hot Maps, but instead I use Hot Maps Explorer for about $20. This program is simply for manipulating trails, waypoints, and routes. You could however, depending on the lakes that interest you, study lakes from this card at your computer. When I had my LCX I use the Fishing Hot Spots card with over 10,000 lakes.
If you are using Lowrance units, MapCreate 7 is probably the best way to go.

Since I got my HDS-10 I just remove it from the boat, hook it to a 125v/12vDC adapter and work from the couch.

Edd