PDA

View Full Version : I'm searching for a stream close to home where I can take my Grandpa fishing

Lucas Edwards
05-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Hello Fish Sniffer Community! I was wondering if you might be able to help me out? I live in Turlock, CA. and I need to find a stream suitable to take my Grandfather fishing. He is 84 years old and has a hard time getting around. It's to the point now where he falls down in parking lots and such. I know you're probably all thinking "Why the heck would you want to take him stream fishing then?" Well, he is bound and determined and won't stop bugging me about it! He loves to fish and I'm affraid he won't be with us much longer. The past few years, the only fishing he has done has been on lakes. Mostly like from the handicap dock at Lake McSwain. Does anyone know of any streams where we might have a good chance of catching trout? I need a spot that I might just be able to drive up to or get him out to on a wheel chair or something? Please let me know! Thanks

RickRyder
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Well there is the Tuolumne river and Lake Don Pedro not too far from where you are...I'm not sure of the regulations on the Tuolumne but I'm sure you can get some good trout fishing at Don Pedro...

darren231385
05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
You could look into fishing at powerhouse stream and moccasin creek, I know the DFG plants those two streams with trout pretty regularly. I don't know how accessible they are though.

auburnfisher
05-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Got just the place for you... Go up the 108 past Sonora, Twain Harte and Long Barn. A couple miles before Pinecrest Lake (near Strawberry), look for a left hand turn that takes you to Frasier Flat campground. They stock the river at the campground and there is a ADA accessible fishing platform that hovers over a good size pool. Very pretty setting. If you get there soon after they plant, you should catch trout. Good luck!

Lucas Edwards
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow, thanks guys! Sounds awesome, I can't wait to tell my Grandpa!

dilbeck
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
The past few years, the only fishing he has done has been on lakes. Mostly like from the handicap dock at Lake McSwain.

I've caught oodles and oodles of trout right below the McSwain dam. Lots of people also swear by the Hornitos bridge but I like where the water comes out of the dam and opens up into the bay.

panther
05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't know of a good place for this purpose, but Lucas...good for you. You are being a super grandson. And thanks to all of you who have offered advice. It will sure be great to that old man have another shot at stream trout fishing.

Panther

fish_feeder32
05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I know there is a spot on the stanislaus river just east of oakdale off of hwy 108 called knights ferry. It has a nice park on the river and it is pretty easy access I do not know if it is ADA but you might want to check it out. I bring my grandfather fishing also he is 80 years old also. I bring him to the delta and fish alot of piers with him. I know it is not trout but it supplies good action on schoolie size stripers with few keepers every once in a while. And they are very easy to access even with a wheel chair or walker. Good luck and tight lines.

Spend as much time as you can and cherish it.

Tigerfox
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
The Stanislaus is a good bet since you live so close. Watch out for the knights ferry area, it's a catch and release only from a certain area going upriver. If you have the time and want to travel a little bit, you can go up hwy 4. There's a little town called Dorrington. Take boards crossing road. Pay attention to the signs on the trees, you can get lost real easy.

Once there, you'll find many areas to fish. They have many pathways to get you close to the river. Alot of fish are caught in this area. There is also an area that is good a little ways up the road from the Sourgrass bridge. It's a day use area only. That's the only way i know of it. I'm not sure of the name of it. But with a little walk you'll find some good spots.

The walk is good going in, but it's uphill most of the way back. Just a heads up for you and your grandfather. If you continue up the hill a little ways after this spot. You'll come to a raod on the right, take this road all the way down. You'll come to a fork in the road, go right. This will take you to boards crossings bridge. Another good place to fish. Easy access to the river.

Good luck, i hope some of this info helps.

isdaann
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
try Markleville, of the Truckee near Squaw Valley

Mackattack
05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Wow, thanks guys! Sounds awesome, I can't wait to tell my Grandpa!

Also at Pinecrest Lk. they have a handicap accessable pier or platform so to speak located at the end of the road on the west end of the lake near the cabins. I dont know if the water is up enough to use it though. Most lakes have a dissabled discount for there rentals and Pinecrest does have a pontoon boat that might work for you two?

Jake

Pirate4x4_camo
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
if you head up to Markleville stop in the carson river resort http://www.carsonriverresort.com and ask them for directions to camp spot #7 which is just a short drive down the road from them.

you can pull right off the paved road into the camp spot and park right next to the river on a nice sandy beach. the river is well stocked and can fish the river from you car if you choose. it has great access for your grandpa and you will catch trout !!!

I was there with my folks last year and there was a son with his very elderly grandma and she had a stringer full. she was having the time of her life. it was awesome to watch her battle at least 10 nice fish.

here is the spot and the picture was taken while I was sitting in the front seat of my truck

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa153/camo_p4x4/fishing/DSC00329.jpg