PDA

View Full Version : White Pines Lake...Info?

mariahpup
05-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Looking for a good spot to bank fish....anyone have any input on White Pines Lake out of Arnold? Any other suggestions...been going to Amador without to much luck fishing off the dam...
Thanks...Luck to All
Mariahpup

Fishbucket
05-13-2010, 08:41 AM
it used to be really good 15 + yrs ago. been along time since I've been there. Sorry, I have nothing to add.

Tigerfox
05-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I've had some luck at the lake a few years back. I'm not sure how's it doing now. I did have luck at the narrows, it's to the left of the swim beach near the first parking lot you come to.
I used power bait topped with a crawler. I think i used rainbow color. With a three foot leader. I casted a few feet off the otherside and reeled back a few turns.

If you have time to travel a little bit i would hit lake Alpine up hwy 4. As you come into the lake area there's a little road, it takes you to the dam area. almost anywhere on the shore will get you some quality trout. I always use chartruse green eggs with another color like white or red. A longer leader is needed at this lake due to larger rocks. This lake produces some pretty color fish. i would choose this lake over white pines anyday. I'm not sure if you can get into alpine yet due to the large amount of snow that may be on the grond. But worth the effort.

iggybabble
05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
When you get into Arnold, stop in at Ebbetts Pass sporting goods, Bill or one of his crew can update you on the whole hwy 4 corridor...........as you head east, he's on the right(south) side.........Its a good shop, and they will have current info!

1crazyfisherman
05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
White Pines is an awesome get away for the day lake. However, White Pines is no longer planted by DFG due to cut backs. Anything you catch there will be hold overs and new spawns. There are blue gill in the lake also. Have fun and fish hard!

Tigerfox
05-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Well after you asking about white pines, i got the want to go fishing. So, i headed up hwy 4 this morning to try fishing Lake alpine. I got there at about 5:30- 6 am. to find the lake completly iced over still. What a disappointment!!!!!!

So i figured i was going back that way i would stop at white pines for a little while. I got there at about 6:30 ( i know the roads real well so i drove fast ). There was no one at the lake. So i fished the side away from the dam. The playground side. I was as far left as you could get. Looking right at the end of the dam. I got my first fish 5 mins later. And so on and so on. I was told by a gentleman ( as i caught another 1 ) they must of planted. I got a fish every few minutes. So you know i like to catch and release.

I met a guy named Steve, from Hathaway Pines. Who knows Bill from Ebbetts Pass bait shop. Very nice guy that can hold a conversation for hours. He told me they've been hitting like this for a week or two. So they must be planting the lake due to the fact that they can't plant elsewhere.

I was using white and green gulp eggs. And when it got slow i would dunk in trophy trout gel. They love that stuff. Overall i got 10. keeping 3 good keepers to smoke tonight. I smell them right now. If you want a good spot you better get there early. Today was friday and it filled up by 9am.

Oh yeah, Spicer is still snowed in as well. There was over four feet on the pavement at the gate. I'll be checking up there in a few weeks and i'll post if there is any change. Good luck and tight lines!!!!!

Mackattack
05-14-2010, 11:44 PM
it used to be really good 15 + yrs ago. been along time since I've been there. Sorry, I have nothing to add.

I have had good luck fishing the dam side with PB. Toss one line out deep and one close to shore.

Jake