PDA

View Full Version : carson or walker river?

daveid01
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi,
I am wanting to go and do some river fishing tomorrow and am wondering what river is best to go to right now and how to get there. I am familier with taking highway 89 to the 88/89 bridge there but i alawys see people on here at a different place near markleeville(?) catching a lot of trout at a different bridge. Im coming from placerville area.
Thanks,
david

Captain Compassion
05-14-2010, 03:49 PM
As can be expected both forks of the Carson and the W. Walker are high this time of year. The bridges are good places to fish because the water is somewhat slowed down. Fish below the 89 bridge (The one comein from Tahoe) for about 1/4 mile. There are some good holes with slower water. Fish at the bottom of the canyon at Crystal Springs near Woodfords. Fish the E. Carson near the Carson River Resort. Fish the W. Walker At the top of the Canyon below the 395 bridge for several hundred yeards. Fish this river at Pickel Meadows and the Sonora Bridge off of 108. You may also want to try below Chris Flat Campground on 395. Most of the rest of the waters will be very heavy.

CC

kickinbass
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Fish the east fork carson at the bridge east of the resort for some planted DFG Whoppers. The stock trucks use the bridges as there dump point so the bridges and down stream from their are best. I like Carson better, more woodsy. Walker is on the dessert side of the sierras, so a little more of a dessert feel.

gbslade
05-15-2010, 05:55 AM
The West Carson around the Highway 88 bridge, just west of the 89/88 junction, fished well on Thurs.