PDA

View Full Version : When does Line Retrieved per Handle Turn matter?

Yervand
05-19-2010, 07:47 PM
When does Line Retrieved per Handle Turn matter?

- Does it matter for specific kind of fish?
- Does it matter for specific kind of fishing technique?

Please, tell me everything about it!

RickRyder
05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
it matters for fishing lures mainly...Different types of lures require different techniques and different speeds...If you are talking about soaking bait and reeling in big fish, then a lower ratio is usually preferred so you do not put TOO much stress on the line by "horsing" in the fish with a higher ratio reel...You really need to watch as many fishing shows as you can and learn about different techniques and what equipment to use for what you are trying to catch...a low profile reel in 6.4:1 or 7.1:1 would be for throwing lures and the higher ratio will retrieve faster...The higher the number, the faster the retrieve...

stonefly-12
05-21-2010, 05:05 PM
its a way to show how fast a reel will retrieve line that is better than just refering to the reels ratio. for example i have a quantum "iron" series reel @ 6.1-1 that will pull up a lot more line in one turn of the handle than a baitcaster (bass reel) of the same ratio.

H-man
05-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Only when you are the one not catching fish...

When fishing for tuna and using a two speed reel. the lower ratio is use for the Hard Fight and the high ratio, fast retrive is for getting your stuff back in quickly.

going4broke1981
05-23-2010, 01:07 PM
The faster the reel retrieve, the faster I can zip my bait acroos the surface of the water so I can point and have my friends watch therefore scoring myself some icy cold cool points.