PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Lead...

RickRyder
06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I know we have all thought of this, but seriously, all jokes aside...Why do we pay good money for a piece of lead that when snagged, is basically money thrown right into the river...I have lost $5 in one snag before, slider, weight, swivel, leader, hook...Why not pick up a rock feel it in your hand for the right weight or what feels about right and tie it on with some mono? What the hell is the difference? I'm seriously gonna try to remind myself to try this one of these days...

FishnBeer
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
take that rock and get some masonry drill bits. now you save money and keep lead out of the water

hotdog
06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I've seen guys use old spark plugs on the coast where they expected to lose their weight on every cast.

Fishoff
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
What about the price of sand?

You can get sand anywhere and on the fishing spot right? Bring with you a bag that resembles a potato sac bag. Fill it up to the desire weight and use that. When sand bag gets caught up in between them rocks, you can yank the heck out of it and loose the sand without losing money.

jjjewett
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I've seen guys use old spark plugs on the coast where they expected to lose their weight on every cast.

scumbaggery.

RickRyder
06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Yea spark plugs are illegal, but I can't see how much more ecological harm they could do than a lost lead weight would do? We all know that spark plugs rust pretty quickly, so in salt water I figure they would break down faster than a piece of lead would...

Angry Sturgeon
06-03-2010, 04:31 PM
They are expensive, and not really on your subject, but charkbait has some cool new stainless steel weights, if you lose them they wont screw up the water, and you can remove and change weight without rerigging.

Canoefish
06-03-2010, 04:38 PM
As RickRyder mentioned, wouldn't you want something that WOULD rust better over time? Solid stainless seems silly to me; it'll be down there practically forever and cost a bundle.

FishItswuts4dinner
06-07-2010, 02:42 AM
During the memorial weekend I've lost over 15bucks worth of JUST lead, not counting expenisive swivels-sliders-7/0circle hooks&bait.....This was the WORST lead Lost in my Entire Fishing History based in 1.5 days of fishing.

Fish_or_die
06-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Lead is cheaper on eBay. I bought a box there. Just pick the free shipping.