PDA

View Full Version : Ab's rock pickin minus tides

fisheone
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
My tide predicter http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/californiasites.html
shows there will be minus tides at Fort Ross April 7 - 9 from -.9 to -1.1. I'm wondering if those are good tides to rock pick abs. I just want to know if it would be worth it to drive up from sacramento.

I don't dive or use dive stuff, just rock pick and i'm pretty new at it. Would these be good tides to rock pick?

triggerfish
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Those are good tides, espicially since its early. then May 5-9 looks better. Or you can just dive and not worry about it! ;)

Fish_R_Us
03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
The biggest minus tides are usually in the -1.5 to -1.6 foot range, but a -1.1 is a good minus tide. That's unless there's a 10-15 ft combined wind/swell out there.

MontanaN8V
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
That is a great minus tide, but, if my ex-wife happens to jump in the drink anywhere on the west coast, tide can rise very fast.

abdiver12
03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Heck yea! Its still nice to have a wetsuit when you pick though because you're still going to get darn wet. You can also wade out to rocks which are more inaccessible.

fisheone
03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. That settles it. I'm gonna try and make a run with some friends (split the gas) for an overnighter. With the minus tide in the morning that should leave some time to do some rock fishing as well.

I have another question. Can rock picking be good with just a good low tide (not a minus tide)?

abdiver12
03-29-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm a diver, not a picker, but guys tell me that as long as you can see the rock and reach underneath it to feel for the abs, you're in business. Some guys stay dry (or try to), others put on suits and wade waist deep and search with their hands. As with diving, the key is to find an area that hasn't been picked over or you'll just be getting people's leftovers or none at all. Best of luck.

metalmouth
03-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Make sure you are familiar with and follow all regs! Let us know how you do.

MM