PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay Salmon

ah-balone
06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Anyone seen or try to fish for Salmon in Monterey Bay lately? Has anyone try up north, Half Moon or other? Just wondering. Sure do miss em.

Toxic_Waste
06-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm no help on this one ... been wondering about Monterey Bay, too.

Toxic_Waste
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
While on the subject of salmon, I just saw a post on facebook by the Monterey Bay Aquarium calling for people to stop buying and/or eating ANY salmon that come from California or Oregon waters, in the hopes the fishing will stop. They feel not only for the salmon, but also for any "bycatch". Why don't they just finally come out and say they are anti fishing ... period? Thing is, there is no shortage of disciples who are saying they will do as told.

Roastall4
06-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Been fishing for everything but salmon. Its just more fun going out for rockcod. Rather than trolling and wasting fuel. And you can catch and release rockcod no problem if your not deep.

GNappers
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Julie Packard is the enemy of all fisherman, she want's to close Monterey Bay to all fishing so she can have as much bait as she want's for her 200 pound tuna. They have tourist from around the world sign a petition to help with this. Ban the Aquarium.

Toxic_Waste
06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
It's just too easy to lure people into extremist actions because of the strong emotional connection involved. After all, who doesn't love and appreciate the ocean? (Well, OK, some people don't care, but most do.) The thing that makes me mad is that there are SO many people who say they "love" something but do not bother to do the research on their own. They just click "send" on a pre-worded letter and off it goes to legislators. Even when I make use of a pre-written letter, I add a lot of my own thoughts/views. If I can't add any, I don't send it; I will make up my own from scratch.

On that facebook post, there were a lot of people who said they would do as directed. But IMHO, if they really cared all that much about "saving" fish, why did they have to wait until somebody directed them to stop buying or eating those fish? They are being like sheep. One woman said she had been anticipating coming to California's Monterey Bay and celebrating her birthday with a big salmon dinner, but now she would change her eating plans. One commercial fisherman made a comment, but the vast majority were anti-fishing. The fisherman encouraged people to come to "the harbor" (Monterey? Santa Cruz?) after July 1 and buy some salmon right off the boat.

Cracks me up how some folks can go to bed and sleep soundly in the comfort of having done something to "save" the earth, when that action really had very little, if any, positive impact. While at the same time not even care that they helped further the devastation of hardworking, honest and LEGAL fishermen and their families.

The facebook post did say that farm-raised or canned salmon were approved by the MBA royalty, but they sure don't want anybody supporting the California or Oregon fishermen. I am going to find out which boat belongs to that guy and which harbor he's in and buy all the salmon I can from him.