PDA

View Full Version : anyone fish SF bay towards alviso or redwood city area?

bugsydog
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Is there any fish in the bay from redwood city to millbrae? if so what type of fish are in there and are they worth eating?

dmede
08-18-2010, 08:13 AM
BUMP

I'd like to know more about this area too. It's my backyard and I've fished it a bit but mostly get sharks and rays. I know halibut and stripers come down but I don't know exactly when or what conditions to fish them.

HawaiianHooker
08-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I've hit it a few times since the Alviso ramp opened up. Right now you have a shot at Sharks and Bat rays with little hope of Sturgeon until probably December.

Be extremely careful if you go out of Alviso, There are a few spots that get down to about 4' and that's near high tide. I won't even attempt it during any other tide.

Another big problem is the narrow channel that has some really tight turns, I know it's just a matter of time that probably during a weekend there will be boats running at speed and will collide.

bluestar
09-02-2010, 05:58 AM
From reports past there is good sturgeon fishing near Dumbarton Bridge, although I've never attempted there before.

But I'd say in general the area south of San Mateo is not worth your time. If you have a day to spend fishing, take a little more time and get out to the ocean. Those with boats take your boats; those without go to Pacifica pier or your secret spots. It is well worth the extra effort.