PDA

View Full Version : Advice on reading HDS screen

kaliona
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Finally got around to taking the boat out with my new HDS-5. Still trying to figure the best settings to get the best sonar pic. Between reading everyone's posts with screen shots and messing with the settings while on the water and while in "simulation" mode, I'm still trying to figure out which arches are really fish or just suspended objects. I was under the impression the arches that have blue in it are more likely fish. I've never had a color unit before so I'm wondering if there is in fact a difference between yellow and blue arches.

Dennis
07-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I've never had a color unit before so I'm wondering if there is in fact a difference between yellow and blue arches.

The brighter the color the denser the object. IF the blue arches were at the same level I would guess that the blue arches are most likely fish on the fringes of the sonar cone angle. I'm guessing that you were using the 50 hz setting. Next time get some screen capture shots and show us what your looking at.

Slight color variations ie more red or more yellow in the central portion of the arch will be different species of fish. I haven't mastered that yet, so I can't help much.