PDA

View Full Version : McSwain in August?

JPFX
07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I plan on Heading up to lake McSwain for 3 nights of camping and fishing the weekend of August 6, 7, 8th. I'll be fishing from a small boat with no downriggers. With the water temperature probably around 80 degrees, am I wasting my time?

rbilly01
07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Mcswains water temp stays low due to being an irrigation lake. They are always letting water in from the bottom of Mclure. If it isn't fished out you will catch them without downriggers. I have fished that lake all year round and have never used a downrigger. Mcswains water is usually very cold even in August. The lake is well known for staying cool even in the late summer months.

dano
07-16-2010, 06:50 AM
McSwain can be a barnburner at times. Last week there were plenty of hoppers around and My best friend had a limit of 2#ers. So did his brother. They are back there tomorrow. It will be hot there tho. The water is always cold due to the McClure release.

JPFX
07-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I didn't that that McSwain water temp. stays cool, but that makes total sense. That's good news! Thanks

smithstation
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I use a wedding ring tipped with 1in to 1 1/2 in of baby night crawler and an 1/8th ounce weight. Troll it about 40-80 ft behind your boat. You will catch limits like this year round. Its been my experience that about 8am to 11am or about 7pm to dark is best time to troll. Drifting a hopper on top is also very productive. Caught a 3lb brown on a hopper about 2 months. First and only brown I have ever caught there. Good luck!!

JPFX
07-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks! Everyone!