PDA

View Full Version : new to hunting

Stew1
07-24-2010, 03:45 PM
want to do some dove and pheasant hunting this year with my son but it seems to do any kind of hunting you have to belong to a club. Is there any public land hunting we could hunt?

Waterdog
07-27-2010, 07:06 AM
For pheasants you can hunt the refuges and WA's or you can join a pheasant club(there are lots of them). In any event you will need a dog to find, flush and retrieve. At some pheasant clubs you can rent dogs. What general area do you live in?
Waterdog

Hof
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Stew1, Knowing where you are located would really help. Pheasants your best bet is a wildlife refuge. You can find doves all over the place but you have to search for them. What ever you do go out and scout during the day. I think this is more important if you are bringing kids. I dove hunt on public land just outside of colusa and the first time I ever went out there I got chased by one of those huge sheep dogs. Learned my lesson about going out in the dark without knowing the area.

Hof

ducman
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
For pheasants you can hunt the refuges and WA's or you can join a pheasant club(there are lots of them). In any event you will need a dog to find, flush and retrieve. At some pheasant clubs you can rent dogs. What general area do you live in?
Waterdog

Last year a group of us went to http://www.stocktonsportsmensclub.com/pheasanthunting.html
We all got at least one pheasant
For dove hunting September 1st is the day to get out, for years i have hunted up and down HWY 5 from Los Banos to Patterson on the California Aqueduct, there use to be a lot of access points to drive on top of the aqueducts and you could shoot doves up and down them, i now hunt a private ranch in Newman for the last 5 years so things might have changed
Check out this article http://www.californiagameandfish.com/hunting/CA_0905_02/index2.html
Also if you are interested in hunting dove, quail, rabbit, pigs, take a drive to Los Padres National Forest, there is some nice hunting areas to be had
Look up Fort Hunter Liggett it also provides hunting on military land
Oh yeah where are you located, these locations are mainly in the central valley

Good luck,
Rob

Stew1
07-28-2010, 05:26 PM
thanks guys I'm in modesto. really dont want to join a club it cost like $36 a bird