PDA

View Full Version : Caples Lake Deer Hunting

fritzw75
07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Has anyone ever boated across Caples lake for opening day of rifle season? I hunted across highway 88 from the lake about 5 yrs ago and we saw 3 bucks running together and one was a mulie. We could not get a shot off as they were in a trot near brush. Earlier that morning my partner got a quick shot off and missed a buck up high in that area. We hiked back to the camping area where we had parked our ATVs and as we were leaving we noticed two nice bucks hanging in a camp and the guy told us he boated across Caples and they scored these nice bucks. Its the only way to get to that land for us hunters. I want to try it this year. The deer should be moving up into that high country anytime now.

Get Bent MARK
08-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I've never boated across Caples to gain access to area you mentioned but I do know the area around there well and I have heard shots coming from that direction. I thought that some of the property on that side of the lake was private or leased out and gaining access to the land beyond was difficult. I'm just not too sure. You might want to investigate this as my info. is at least 10 years old. I've killed (HARVESTED TO BE P.C.) several bucks in the Snyder cow camp area and also around Frog lake at Carson pass. Be careful as the boundry for zone X8 is the sierra crest trail. Walking south on the trail anything on your left is X8, NOT D5 and there are at times people watching since it rather easy to access and is so close to a X zone ie.., wardens, rangers, tree huggers who don't like hunting in the area and WILL let you know it if they are given the chance. Walking north on the trail of course means anything on the right of the trail is X8. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that the top of the ridge is the sierra crest, and it is, but the trail is the boundry. Unless the regs. have changed and the boundry moved since I last hunted the area a few years back. Check the regs.

Mark

Fern-dog
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Years ago, and I mean years ago, I made the walk back into the area behind the lake via a trail which starts at the dam. It is not a hard walk, but very steady and can get pretty thick with timber. In the back area it opened up some then numerous trails branch off and head up into the higher peaks at the back of the lake. Saw a good number of deer, several bucks but none where I was able to get a shot off. Never went back into the area again, for what reasons I can't remember. In any case ,if you get one back there, getting it down to the lake for the trip out will be a chore, as it can get steep and rough back there.

Good luck, hope this helps you.