PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish Equiptment

linesiding_101
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Could you guys/gals educate me on what equiptment I need to fish rockfish in California for both shallow (100ft and less) and deep (100ft plus)

- What size spoons?
- What size weights for feathers and shrimp flys?
- Lucanus type of lures?
- Recommended lures???

I've tried searching, but it has been quite difficult for me to find any specific info. or maybe I just havn't looked at the right places.

fishingfreak
07-30-2010, 03:38 PM
i use the black belt rock cod rig you can get at fishermanswarehouse and i use the 3/0 hook and a 8 to 10 ounce wheight i prefur braided line 30 to 50 pound test i like the dimond bar or the p line hex bar which u can also get at fishermanswarehouse

nitty917
07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
shrimp flies tipped with shrimp, 6-8oz topedos or round work well for me, tie off your weight on a smaller line just in case you get hung on the bottom, you lose a weight instead of the whole rig.

21farms
08-02-2010, 09:23 AM
shrimp fly rigs (black belt, p-line farallon feathers, etc.) all work fine in 3/0 to 5/0 sizes. use torpedo weights in 6 oz. to 10 oz., depending on depth and current. if you go on a charter boat, they usually cut strips of squid to tip the shrimp flies with but i've used plastic worms and grubs instead with equal success without the mess.

for line, i used 50 lb. test power pro braid on my last trip and it was a mess...when it got tangled with another rig, it was nearly impossible to clear without cutting and retying. from now on, i'm only using 25-30 lb. test mono.

nelson9
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM
When using braid, I use a 10 to 15 foot topshot of mono connected with a uni to uni knot. Most tangles on a party boat happen with the last 6 to 8 feet of line. Using a topshot confines the tangle to the mono, which makes it easier to untangle. The mono is also easier to break off when your hung up on the bottom. There are too many advantages to using braid to not use it.

Bigg A
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Depending on where your fishing at you can use BIG kastmasters, gibbs minnow, p-line bars, small swimbaits, crappie jigs, plastic worms, tubes and even small crankbaits. There's alot of other things you can use as well, just gotta experiment with it and see if they will hit it. Here's a few things I use for rocks and lings....

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx236/Bigg_Ant/DSCF2786-1.jpg

That funky lookin orange and yellow bar is a bocaccio slayer!! As far as braid goes.... It cuts pretty easily on the rocks your drifting over for rocks and lings. I like to use 15-20# izorline :winkfs:

linesiding_101
08-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I will definitely start shopping.

Also I have two 8' deckhand rods. I think these might be a bit long, but I definitely don't want to get another setup just for rockfishing.

Do you guys think they'll be OK?

fishyman
11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I use an uglystick tiger with a diawa saltist reel loaded with 50 pound braid.For bait, I use a black belt rig tipped with squid.:angling: