PDA

View Full Version : North River VHF radio and stereo placement

burtin163_1
07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,

I was curious where other NR Seahawk owners have mounted their VHF radio's and stereos. I was thinking of mounting a VHF radio below the steering wheel and a stereo in the glove box. I would be very interested in seeing pics of what other folks have done and how it worked out for them.
Also for those of you who have installed stereo's, where did you mount the speakers?
Thanks in advance for any advice on the topic!

FishWisher
08-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Here's the helm in my NR Bayhawk. I have just the one speaker on the left, the VHF is mounted above the AM/FM/Tape radio, to the far right of the photo is the XM radio that plays through the FM radio. There are a lot more photos of the projects here: http://fishwisher.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!760CF1850A11394!298.entry

Maybe this'll give you some ideas...

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/FishWisher/Helmcomplete.jpg

burtin163_1
08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks for the pics......when you hooked up your stereo and VFH, I see you have created your own circuit board....pretty cool....I'm a novice so please excuse the silly question but .....is there a reason why you didn't run the VHF or radio off of one of the switches in the helm (i.e. depth swtich or accessory)? would that be too much draw for you to be able to run both at the same time?

P.S. Nice job on your pics and the work you have done so far on your boat!

FishWisher
08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Having that fuse block handy and not needing to drop the instrument panel to access the connections was the main reason for not using those factory switches. All of my additions are on that fuse block. And also there is no need to run both radios (actually three counting the XM) off one breaker.

Thanks for your kind comments.

kokaneeCommander
08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
On my NR SeaHawk I used piece of flat 1/4" x2" aluminum stock to span the gap under the steering console then drilled holes and tapped. Mounting the vhf to the aluminum cross members. To me the loction is handy and out of the way. Also leaving room for a future larger 10" FF to mount on the dash. Nick