PDA

View Full Version : Help Us Out!!!!Asap

Cal.Kellogg
01-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey guys and girls,

Since there are virtually no saltwater fishing opportunities at this time I am having an extremely hard time finding saltwater pictures for the saltwater section of the Sniffer. If you guys could send me some ASAP it would be a great help. It could be crabs, baja pics, south bay sturgeon…whatever so long as it is saltwater….I have an open mind at this point!!

I need the name of the angler, the location, date and of course the name of the photographer and the city you live in…..

The pics need to be at least 6 by 4 inches at 200 dpi…..Thanks in advance, Cal Kellogg.

My email is calkellogg@fishsniffer.com

basil
01-21-2008, 03:42 PM
How about some pictures of a record Sand Dab!

Guys ask about catching shrimp out front, so why not do an article on it?

Last I heard they were catching Humboldt Squid.

Better yet, how about an article about that guy whose been caught three time poaching abalone, with a big picture so we can all call him in when we see him!

quantoson
01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I have seen you asking for photo's in the past posts as well. *Gee I'm not one to be rude at all, but why not go out there yourself and fish or meet the people that come back in? *Be there in person, ask the questions, take the pictures and publish those. *

I don't subscribe to the publication mainly because most publications have staff that borrow pictures and articles. *It seems the sniffer does the same. *I may be out of line here and might get zapped from here but I have to say it.

Again I do not intend to sound rude, just tired of all the counterfeit publications.

Cal.Kellogg
01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
You should spend the $2.25 and purchase a copy of the print edition of the Fish Sniffer. We are a family run bussiness and we feel that all of our readers and advertisors are an extension of that family....

The source of every picture that runs in the magazine is cited, whether it is taken by staff, a loyal reader, subscriber or advertisor....I am the associate editor of the magazine. On average I spend 100 days a year out on the water with a rod in my hand and over those 100 days I take hundreds if not thousands of photos.

Having said that the Sniffer is published 26 times a year....I provide the photos for the publisher. For each issue I prepare between 100 and 125 photos....That is more than 2600 photos per year.....The photos have to be diverse. Some must be saltwater others freshwater...We are the foremost fishing magazine on the west coast so we have to have photos that represent all the fishing opportunities that exist in Fish Sniffer land...That is a big area spanning from Alaska in the north and the tip of Baja in the south....

We absolutely do not "share photos" As I said earlier our photos are all cited. Our readers are delighted to see thier photos in print and why not? To us they are part of the family.....Check out the magazine and by all mean send me some photos...who knows you might find yourself on the cover!!!

Thanks Cal Kellogg
Associate Editor, Fish Sniffer Magazine; Northern California Angler Publications

metalmouth
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Cal! There are a lot of pics posted on this board every day. The Sniffer has never used these photos unless they were submitted to the paper. I think they run a damn honorable outfit considering what is available for the taking if they wanted. Remember they finance these boards for us to use free of charge. Buying the paper or a subscription is a pretty good value considering all we receive.

My .02 worth.

MM
Global Moderator

ken_fishnfool
01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
DANG!

I been itching for salt and don't have a digi camera...Let's see about the next couple of weeks?

You publish an awesome mag for us local people and have an awesome website...Wish I could help...

And, by the way, this is THE BEST time of year for inshore cabs/rockcod and perch along our shores! The big waves earlier kind of washed out my favorite spots. :'(

Cal.Kellogg
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Now see that is what I'm talking about. Most of the guys involved with the Sniffer are hardcore anglers....I didn't know the heavy surf was positive for the bank guys but it totally makes sense....If I could get some pics like that it would be GREAT!!!!! We love the standard salmon, trout, bass etc pics, but of all the anglers in the state how many specialize in surf fishing?........Not that many and that makes for an interesting photo....Cal

tdekens
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I have been to lazy to ever submit one myself. The one thing I like the most is that the Sniffer allows its readers to submit their own photos. That is what does keep it homey. Its all the glossy professional photos are what I always think are the pre set up ones. Not some hillbilly with a 4 day beard like me in a pic that the sniffer shows. I dont like fishing publictions on a national scale. I like the local feeling as well.
Thanks for you input hear Cal,
2Shakes

EastBayAngler
01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I need to send some photos this year!!! I'm a lagger! ;D I think, I sent you one of my daughter last year but,...wa-wa-waah! Best mag in the west guys ;) I'll be on the Digi cam emailing you some soon Cal. :-/ I wanna see pics of Squid!!!!

MB_Kevin
01-25-2008, 01:10 AM
but why not go out there yourself and fish

I was thinking the opposite. *Every magazine your pic is all over it with the fish you have been catching. *I was thinking this guy needs to stop fishing so much and get back to the office and make sure my daughters pic gets into this issue ;D

*Just kidding I think you do a great job and have gotten 3 of the pic I have sent in over the years on the pages 8-) *It is cool to see a pic of your kid or even yourself in a fishing mag.

Sin_Coast
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
but of all the anglers in the state how many specialize in surf fishing?

I DO.
Cal, if you really want some pics of shore-caught rockfish, send me a PM. In fact, I'll send you one right now.
Thanks,
PK

ken_fishnfool
01-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Sin Coast YOU DA MAN!

Just because you are willing to share your pic's (I got a preview of some of them this past week ;)) I am going to HAVE to go and buy the next issue!!! :o ;D

Plus...compa and I may just have to come down and visit soon!