PDA

View Full Version : Hds10/br24/lss-1

klnfish
08-20-2010, 08:55 PM
My fishing buddies think I'm crazy but I'm getting rid of our older furuno ff and gps unit for a Lowrance HDS10 with the broadband radar and the structure scanning unit. Should be getting it early next week. I guess I've been sold on these units for a while now and I'm just tired of wasting fuel going all over the place in waters I'm unfamiliar with. I just hate it when they say I'm crazy but in the end, if I can put them on fish each and every time...who's the crazy one??? Anyone else using a similiar setup?

Z21jim
08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
My 2 cents. Just put two tens on my Ranger and scan. Marvelous results with their performance and engineering to make them operator friendly. Get a crash course on their operation and keep their phone number if you have questions on the lake. The overlay system works great (structure/sonar). Also I really like the waypoint feature (saves time).
Enjoy and good luck. http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png

klnfish
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
With my fishing partners' help, we finished installing the new system last Friday. Had a chance to take it out to Santa Cruz for a test spin on Sunday. The weather was nice and the ride out was smooth. Where do I start. You could say this is an update on the electronics along with a fishing report.
I turned on the Radar and was amazed of what was picked up. It was really nice to see the details. Now we can go fishing if it's foggy.:wink:
The structure scan was amazing with the amount of detail that it picked up. Even showing bait balls on the way out of the harbor. I haven't read about this part but the unit has the ability to overlay the downscan with the traditional sonar. Giving the sonar screen a lot more detail on what you are seeing. Next was the ride up to Franklin Point. Btw, I ordered the Navionics Platinum Plus 643 Chip and I was amazed on the amount of details this chip has. Made great time going about 20-22mph. Got to the fishing grounds and started the scan of the bottom. With the help of the Navionics chip and the structure scan, we were able to find the area with the rocky bottom. Ran over it and used the structure scan and couldn't locate them. Moved to another area and fished started showing up. Marked the waypoint and went back to rescan the area. It got to the point that we needed to stop looking and start fishing. At this point, I turned on the fish ID with depth and beeps. Fish was holding snugly to the bottom. My fishing buddy drops the line down with red shrimp flys tipped with squid and immediately hooks up to a nice size gopher. We were trying hard to get some lings but they all seem to have lockjaw syndrome. Needless to say, we limited out with 6 vermilions, some blues, but the majority were gophers. No lings or halibut. Made the ride back to Capitola with the winds to our back at 24-26mph. Coming into Capitola, we were waved down by a center console boston whaler. Went along side them and were told that both their batteries were dead. Apparently, they were trying to switch on their live well and switched on the bilge pump as well. Running both batteries low and unable to start the engine. Lucky for them that we had a spare to lend them. As we were pulling out our spare battery, the coast guard auxillary shows up and ask what's going on. They explain that their out of battery. Their recommendation was to call vessel assist and the gal responded back that we had an extra battery. Anyhow, long story short, we tied up and transferred the battery over to them and they were able to start up their engine. Lucky for them that they had two batteries tied to the perko switch. Told him to switch it to both now that the engine has started in order to charge them both up. He returned our battery and they were good to go. We then proceed to our plan of going to capitola and anchor up for lunch. We stopped in about 25ft of water and again using the structure scan, downscan, and sonar, we were able to see fish holding the bottom water column from 20-25ft and 10-15ft. Changed our gear and using a high low setup with squid, we dropped to the bottom and were hooking up king fish. It was fun for about fifteen minutes. Changed out the gear to sabiki jigs and tried fishing the 10-15ft water column and hooked up on small jack smelt and mackerals. Surprised they were there. We finally had our late lunch and then headed back home. Wind started to pick up on our way back. All in all, I'm really pleased with the setup.

Polebrother
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the fishing report and FF feedback! Glad you were able to help the other boat. I'd say you had a good day. Well done!

Ken Sauret
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Did you notice the detail on the Broadband Radar? Even wind waves real close to the boat show up.

klnfish
09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Ken,

I've been waiting to go out again to see if I'm able to see the wind waves and I didn't notice any. Maybe my settings are a little off. Btw, I was trying out the radar overlay and got the "radar overlay not valid". After doing some searching, it requires a heading sensor for it to work. I have one on order and can't wait to try it out. I went out again this past Sunday out of Santa Cruz and my plan was to record some of the structure scan and downward scan for later review. My unit rebooted. I stopped trying after a couple of reboots. I figured that it was the memory card because as soon as I pulled it out, I didn't have that problem anymore. The other thing I noticed from my previous trip was the MLPA zones not being on the Navionics chip. I went in and manually marked all of the waypoints.
Here's our mini fishing report from this last trip.
We left SC 5:30am. Got up to Franklin Pt. around 6:35am. Fished and got 3 limits of Rock Cod. One of the guys hooked onto something substantial and lost it at 34ft. Tried another drift and my friend hooks up again. It was heavy and we are all thinking it was a Ling Cod. Gaft in hand, it surfaces and it's a halibut. Got it into the boat and it measured out to 39". Headed home after that.

Ken Sauret
09-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Congrats on a great Halibut. 39 inches is a really good fish!

nitty917
10-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Ken,

I've been waiting to go out again to see if I'm able to see the wind waves and I didn't notice any. Maybe my settings are a little off. Btw, I was trying out the radar overlay and got the "radar overlay not valid". After doing some searching, it requires a heading sensor for it to work. I have one on order and can't wait to try it out. I went out again this past Sunday out of Santa Cruz and my plan was to record some of the structure scan and downward scan for later review. My unit rebooted. I stopped trying after a couple of reboots. I figured that it was the memory card because as soon as I pulled it out, I didn't have that problem anymore. The other thing I noticed from my previous trip was the MLPA zones not being on the Navionics chip. I went in and manually marked all of the waypoints.
Here's our mini fishing report from this last trip.
We left SC 5:30am. Got up to Franklin Pt. around 6:35am. Fished and got 3 limits of Rock Cod. One of the guys hooked onto something substantial and lost it at 34ft. Tried another drift and my friend hooks up again. It was heavy and we are all thinking it was a Ling Cod. Gaft in hand, it surfaces and it's a halibut. Got it into the boat and it measured out to 39". Headed home after that.

Also got the same setup like you with Navionics, and love the detail the platinum chip offers. Im still waiting to add the structurescan and radar. From your review, the structurescan is a must buy. This will help me differentiate stuff from the sonar.
A question was how hard was it to add on the fishfinder, where did you mount the second transducer? Can you post a pic? I want to see of my transom has the room, with my bait pump in the way im afraid I need to do some re arranging.

klnfish
10-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Also got the same setup like you with Navionics, and love the detail the platinum chip offers. Im still waiting to add the structurescan and radar. From your review, the structurescan is a must buy. This will help me differentiate stuff from the sonar.
A question was how hard was it to add on the fishfinder, where did you mount the second transducer? Can you post a pic? I want to see of my transom has the room, with my bait pump in the way im afraid I need to do some re arranging.

The structure scan was fairly easy to install. Your normal power cables and the ethernet(the yellow connector) that goes directly to the unit. If you add the Radar, the radar's ethernet will plug into the structure scan module.
Attached is the pic of the transducer. Just remenber to follow the instruction of where not to put it and you should be fine.
On a side note here, I have noticed that when I run everything(radar, structure scan, fish finder) the unit is not as responsive as I would have hope for. I'm curious to know if adding another screen would help with this response time. Perhaps offloading some processing power to another unit. I would hate to go this route but again I'm just curious and would like to know if this is the case or because of the speed of the ethernet causing the lag in the response time.