PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Tomales Bay

kokoloco
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd like to fish Tomales Bay for Halibut/? and maybe throw some crab pots down for rock crabs. I've read several posts and would like to know if you fish Tomales like the SF Bay? (troll frozen chovie with 1# ball and butt rig). Is the bottom rocky or muddy? I see on the chart there are deep channels on the far side of Hog Island. I would assume these are the spots to target halibut? I have heard there are lots of sharks in the bay and remember how much fun they are to catch. :1fishshark5rv: Is there a certain bait/rig that I should try when fishing for them? Any info would be appreciated greatly.

Sam

rockroach
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
For halibut, catch live bait and drift using 4oz-6oz torpendo wieghts. Sharks love squid, but so do the crabs. I've caught plenty of angels sharks, leopard sharks, sand shanks and rays on live bait though. Good luck.

casey
09-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Me, and a couple buddies crabbed there the weekend of the 11th and 12th.Go to the far side across from the launch, and then go toward Hog Island 1/8th of a mile. Set your pots in 12 to 25 feet along the inside and outside edges of the kelp beds.