PDA

View Full Version : East/West Carson River?

River_Addict
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I do a lot of trout fishing, but I've never fished the Carson Rivers. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions or tips that could potentially lead to a more successful fishing trip. A creek I fish quite often is Hat Creek, and I know the stream like the back of my hand. I typically stick to the upper part using nothing but Panther Martins & Night Crawlers, which always work well. I'll also be bringing a fly rod. Any pointers would be appreciated. :cheesy:

-River Addict

gbslade
09-12-2010, 06:11 AM
I fly fish both Carsons. On the West Yellow Humpy and E/C Caddis dry flies are good; Prince Nymph and Pheasant Tail nymphs work well. On The East the same flies are good, plus lately the Golden Stone nymph has been very good. All but the Golden Stone are in sizes 16 and 18. The Golden Stone I tie in size 10. We should be getting close to the time of the October Caddis. Check with Todd at the Carson River Resort or Dave Kirby at Woodfords Station for the latest info.

Jetspray
09-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Use red Gulp eggs and white jigs they work well as do 1/4 oz gold kastmasters. If you stay at the Crystal Springs CG just outside of Woodford's you have quick access to some close lakes and the rivers as well but going west past the bug station at Topaz lake is quite a drive for more river access by 108. Woodford's station is a good place to get a breakfast sandwich and say hi to Dave Kirby and his wife when you stop in he has a bunch of local info......Jetspray