PDA

View Full Version : ABTASTIC!!!

keelhaulinrob
11-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Yesterday being friday me my father my uncle and uncle went up to the coast to get wet and try to get the last ab we could this season before the rush came up for the minus tide and the last weekend dive of the season. On our way up at 5 in the mounring it was cold out, we got to jenner and all hopped in one truck we headed up. The water didn't look to good. So we decided to drive up to ELK were we could get access to a private beach. on our way up we figured it would be blown out since everything else is blown out. we get their and it is laid down. We get in the water swim out about a mile and look down in this kelp bed about 25 feet. Few dives from all of us didn't see anything. so we swam up north about a half a mile we found a pocket of nice size ones but their was only 4 so we got some and moved more up north then we hit this next kelp bed, and man were the ab thick and loaded. We had to delicatly pick which ab's we wanted off the rocks did we want thick meat, big shell, pretty shell, it was tough i wont lie, i took the big and pretty shells. as we all got our limits we kicked back in about 2 miles back. so a total of 4 miles we kicked. We looked at all our ab and with 4 people we got 12 nine inch ab's no 8's nice limits unfortunatly no 10's but im sure if we found the right crack we would have had the tens. I figured wat a great way to end the season. On our way back we took our team eating and looking off the cliff at the scenic northern california ocean. Then we saw the rush of people coming up the mountain. So good luck to all of you getting out their for the last dive of the season

Love Robert

metalmouth
11-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Great report Robert! Got any pics?

Thanks,

MM

keelhaulinrob
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
yea i got pictures i just dont know how to add them?

metalmouth
11-24-2007, 01:36 PM
It's really easy, I'll give you directions:

In order to post pictures they must first be hosted. You cannot post pictures directly from your computer to this site without a host. There are many free host companies but we will use ImageShack for an easy free start up. Go to www.imageshack.us and register. Now that you have an account that is accessible in your E-mail, open it up. You will see the option of uploading. Click upload images. Check the box that says upload file, resize image 320 x 240, and remove size/resolution bar from thumbnail. Hit Browse, and locate the file that your pictures are in. Select the picture you wish to post and hit open. Then select “host it.” Select “my images,” and you will see the picture you wish to post. To the right of that picture will be Embeddable Code. Highlight the code next to the word “forum.” Copy the highlighted code by right clicking your mouse and selecting copy. Go to your post and paste. Congratulations, your post now has pictures.

MM

keelhaulinrob
11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4245/abalone1su9.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abalone1su9.jpg)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4972/abalone2ra9.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abalone2ra9.jpg)

The 8 is wat we brought home we gave one to the other guy once we got home. the small one is a 7 inch ab that is a clicker. used for refrence of the other ab

abdiver12
11-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Very nice dive Rob, 4 limits of 9 inchers is a fantastic result. I'd always heard Elk has lots of 9 inchers but not alot of 10's and you're dive seems to confirm that rumor! Great story to end the season. Maybe you can eat abalone for Christmas instead of turkey or ham.

metalmouth
11-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Hey, thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Nice Abs!

MM

Fort_Bragger
11-25-2007, 08:01 AM
A four mile swim? *I'm impressed. *I'm a tightwad, and from the old school. *I used my 1970's Scuba Pro fins up until I tried the new split fins a few seasons back, that suppose to replicate a frog's foot. *I couldn't believe the difference. $189 for fins, Ouch! *I'm still not sure I'm up for a four mile swim like your trip, but it would certainly be easier now. *Nice story, nice Abs.....Ben.

Fort_Bragger
11-25-2007, 09:21 AM
You might give some thought about diving around Stewart's Point. *Of all the Ab's I've dove for, the biggest limit came just south of Stewarts Point and north of Salt Point. *It's private now, but at one time you could cross the ranchers property by putting a couple of bucks into the can on a post in the field. *If your willing to make a long swim again, park at the extreme north end of Salt Point and swim around the point into the next cove or so. *There's some 10's in there in less than twenty feet of water. *It the best spot I've ever dove for big Ab's. There's also some excellent spear fishing under the kelp bed in the first big cove.....Ben.

garrett_s
11-25-2007, 09:26 AM
nice abs

keelhaulinrob
11-25-2007, 09:35 AM
thank you. Ive always wanted to try stewarts point, but no one i go with wants to because they all have been diving for a while and dont want to walk or swim, but we ended up doing it the other day. I also want to try hiking down the steep hills off of high way one.

keelhaulinrob
11-25-2007, 10:54 AM
yea i got the long fins like 2 feet long they do an excelent job going down deep and coming up but on the surface they arn't the best. Ive always wanted to try the new split fins, but dont wanna pay for something without trying it, but ive only heard good things about them.

Fort_Bragger
11-25-2007, 12:41 PM
I try and stay away from fads, but if you ever try a pair, you'll pay the price. *I keep my dive gear in Fort Bragg. *If you'd like to borrow them for a test drive, I'd be happy to let you use them sometime. *Just pm me. *They're the best innovation I've used in diving since doing away with the old tank J valve reserve air in scuba..

keelhaulinrob
11-25-2007, 01:01 PM
alright thanks awesome

joshc40
11-25-2007, 09:27 PM
WOOHOO! nice abs man. I went up last friday and those abs were everywhere man. Nice catch once again.

Know_Excuses
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
When you swim that far do you have a floatation device or something??And where do you keep your beer and how do you drink it? Do you have to float on your back like an otter does when they eat?? Very nice reoprt and pics, Thanks ;D ;D

keelhaulinrob
11-26-2007, 07:53 PM
yea i got a boogey board that i kick out on with a mesh bag. its nice cuz when you kicking back in you just ride the waves in. I dont drink any beer out their because i am yet to turn 21 years of age and yea those ab are everywhere.