PDA

View Full Version : cabezon tips?

GottabKevin
11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
hey sniffers, m was just wondering if anyone knows aany special tips on catching rock cod, cabezone, and greenlings up at Fort Ross. i usually fish from the rocks,and had many decent greenlings and cabezone. but is there any way to catch bigger or more? leader length, bait any tips would help. im going up next week so i would appreciate if someone could give some tips.

keelhaulinrob
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
i think abalone is a good tip, i use abalone as bait and i get a lot of cabs also it seems when im diving and am using abalone as chum i get a lot of cab's around it.

reversegut408
11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Ive never had a cab before :-/ NOR A HALIBUT!!!!!

realdeal
11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
i saw a few guys on the half moon bay jetty with some cabbies that were using squid pieces rubbed in chopped up garlic. :-? Ive never tried it myself tho

tkdvellone
11-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Ive caught some from shore using mussels I get from the rocks.

GottabKevin
11-18-2007, 08:20 PM
ive had most luck with abalone gut and cut up squid. i heard that green crabs are good but i never got a bite on those, plus i dont even know how to hook them up.

joshc40
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I say ab gut is the way to go. Kevin and me have been fishing with this stuff together for a long time and it always works. Shrimp also works well but I would go with the ab gut. As for chumming abalone, can't, got to eat it ;D. Can't wait for this Saturday too.

Josh

GCinGV
11-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Generally for bigger fish use bigger baits; whole Squid or Octopus, live Sand Dabs, Smelt or small Rock Fish, etc. From shore the biggest problem is getting hung though especially with live baits. Iíve had pretty good luck from shore with large weed less type jig heads like for Bass with a whole or partial Squid on them.
If you can find an area in the kelp or rocks with lots of Red Crabs chances are there are lots of Cabs, they feed on them pretty heavy.
GC

cptdarel
11-19-2007, 08:49 AM
wow, amazing how many people use Abalone gut, thought i was the only one, cabezon eat abalone, what ever size the can get in their mouth, after cosumption and a little digesting they regergitate the shell out.
I get the gut and put it on a layer of rock salt, cover it and add more gut, layer salt layer gut, preserves the gut and stays on the hook better.

MontanaN8V
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Used ab gut first time this year, that is the slimiest, stinkiest, nastiest stuff I have ever seen. I wanted to go ab diving, not now. That stuff is just plain wrong.

keelhaulinrob
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
ive never really used much other bait than ab guts, but i have had a ton of luck with it, rarely get skunked with it and have caught more cab's than any other fish, even caught a ling.

cptdarel so how do you preserve i dont fully understand but it sounds interesting because a big problem is keeping it on the hook.

Sin_Coast
11-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Seawave brand frozen squid from Safeway works fine. No need to use ab guts, especially since its illegal to transport recreationally caught ab outside the shell. Wherever you clean em...thats where you gotta eat/store em. Thems the rules.
Good luck!

joshc40
11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Even the gut is not allowed to be transported around? Many people usually throw it away but some people do consume it. I have to look into that to make sure it's safe to use so we don't get busted for it. Got to be careful nowadays, DFG is getting real strict and won't tolerate law breakers.

Jan_from_Humboldt
11-20-2007, 12:48 AM
It's legal to transport and use the guts for bait, not the shelled meat of the abalone.

cptdarel
11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
cptdarel so how do you preserve i dont fully understand but it sounds interesting because a big problem is keeping it on the hook.
I take a small plastic container and put a layer of ROCK salt about a inch and a half 1.5" and lay the gut on top af the salt flattened out, depending on size , then another layer of salt, a layer of gut and another layer of salt, let er sit in a cool, real cool place. till it firms up.

Fish_R_Us
11-20-2007, 11:24 AM
To catch bigger cabezones, you need to use larger bait, like a whole squid, baby octopus, green crab or whole anchovy. For the crab use a large hook and run the hook directly thru the middle of the top and bottom shell. Cast way out into the deep instead of fishing the nearshore crevices and pools. This will probably make for more snags, but that's where the bigger fish are. During the flat sea conditions (around the end of august) are when the bigger cabs come into the shallows to feed. I use a 40 lb handtied leader with (2) # 1/O hooks tied directly to the dropper loops and a 3-4 oz weight. I don't know about catching more cab's, you are only allowed to keep (1) each per person/per day.

I was out last sunday morning and kept a 17", 4.5 lb. cabezone, releasing all the smaller ones. Good luck.

GottabKevin
11-20-2007, 06:02 PM
wheredo u fish from? i havent seen a cabezone that big come from shore? u dont have to tell me the exact place... i know every fisherman should keep their secrets. i ve only caught 1.5 lb and 2 lbers.

Fish_R_Us
11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I mainly fish the areas between Pescadero and the Santa Cruz Co line. Bean Hollow SB is a good place to start. Pidgeon Point has alot of nice places, especially Pidgeon Rock (during minus tides). I'm usually anywhere between Pidgeon Point and Ano Nuevo. The Davenport area as alot of cliffs and neat places, but I rarely venture that far. South of the S. Cruz Co. line, the terrain changes to mostly sandy beaches and then gets rocky as you get closer twords Santa Cruz.

reversegut408
11-21-2007, 06:43 PM
OOOOOOOOH THATS A CAB!? LOL hehehe i just found out yes i have caught them never knew that they were great? lol havent tried it. In HMB we always caught so many cabs hehe we don even know if its good >< driftin live chovies over rocks

reversegut408
11-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Deeeng hehe im so dumb =( lol my biggest in HMB is 6lbs not too long ago

joshc40
11-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Six pounds! Man you beat me. My largest cab is about five pounds. Just make sure they're 15+ inches or else you'll get into some deep trouble with the DFG. Oh, and cabs are one of the best tasting fish I have ever tasted. Another thing, only one a day.

BigSharkCatching
11-23-2007, 02:13 AM
You don't need to cast far to reach the bigguns! You don't need big bait or ab guts either. Chunks of squid work excellent. My personal best is 24" 7lbs. Here's a pic an old friend with his 27" 10lb cabzilla!! Caught while poke poling along the Central Coast:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/Danjkeating/Camping044a.jpg

reversegut408
11-23-2007, 11:43 AM
nice cab

tkdvellone
11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Yep, that a nice cab there. Ive caught a few at Salt Point usung mussels and the snails off the rocks. You dont have to cast far for them at all.

cptdarel
11-25-2007, 11:38 AM
down the coast Big Sur area is Killer.

GottabKevin
11-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow thats a nice cab. ive never seen one so big from shore. i usually catch 1.30 to 2.30 pounds on ab gut. when i use squid i end up catching rockcod or greenlings.

GCinGV
11-26-2007, 06:15 AM
The best place Iíve ever found for Cabs anywhere is about half way between the two Esteros in Bodega Bay right against the shore. Iíve only fished this spot from a boat and I think you would have to walk a couple miles from Dillonís to shore fish it but believe it or not weíve managed 4 cabs there over the years from 11 to 14 lbs bouncing whole Squid or Octos. The fish are extremely spotty in this area and tend to bunch up in certain very small areas for some reason so you have to look for them. The best spot Iíve found is about a 30 yd dia area surrounded by rocks, right up against the shore, we named the Corral that is just thick with Red Crabs an why I think it holds so many Cabs.
Donít have any digital Cab pics but here is a nice Ling caught about 30 yds from the Cab spot.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/gary_ling.JPG