PDA

View Full Version : I need help solving 12 volt electrical problem

StikMan Modesto CA
11-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I decided to run wiring from my vehicle to my boat so while I was driving to or from the lake the boat battery would charge like my car battery does. So i ran a negative and a positive cable with disconnects to my boat battery and when I hooked it up I was a bit surprised. My electric trolling motor started running. It is hooked up directly to the 12 volt battery and has two toggle switches on board. One is forward or reverse and the other is simply on or off. I am pretty sure if I switch the power cables (place negative on positive and visa-versa the trolling motor runs in opposite direction. Having it turn on blew my mind. When I try to turn it off it changes the speed but does not turn off. This is a two way toggle switch. :foottap: I am thinking it must be some sort of issue related to the electrical circuitry on the trolling motor like it runs positive through itself and grounds to the boat. The battery does not ground to the boat but it does through the trailer when the car is hooked up to it. Does this make sense to anyone? Does anyone want to point me in the right direction before i scratch all the hair off my head? Thanks StikMan

Jetspray
11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Not sure why you want to charge your boat while moving. I use trickle chargers for my batteries and suppliment charging at the lake with solar panels. If you are un-able to charge up your batteries before you leave, I would remove them on a dolly or material table with a set up on that for charging the batteries. Just wheel it out of your garage to the boat, put in the batteries and off you go. Just my two cents......Jetspray

StikMan Modesto CA
11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Not sure why you want to charge your boat while moving. I use trickle chargers for my batteries and suppliment charging at the lake with solar panels. If you are un-able to charge up your batteries before you leave, I would remove them on a dolly or material table with a set up on that for charging the batteries. Just wheel it out of your garage to the boat, put in the batteries and off you go. Just my two cents......Jetspray Well I often fish nighttime and can burn through 2-3 batteries in a given night. I fish 3-5 days a week so getting a or two batteries charged by my vehicle during traveling is a super convenience to me. Do they make solar panel chargers for night time? :)

ReelJerks
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Well.......you bypassed your toggle switches supplying direct voltage to the motor. It will run when it has power. Do you have any pics you can show? Sure would help. What type and size battery are you using?

Jetspray had the right idea. With the right charger you should be able to charge an entire bank of batteries overnight easy enough.

Edd

BASS-O-MATIC
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
What kind of trolling motor set up do you have? Doesn't sound standard. Like a foot control or switching on the motor. That has a lot to do with it.

reel_time
11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
What kind of trolling motor set up do you have? Doesn't sound standard. Like a foot control or switching on the motor. That has a lot to do with it.

Sounds like you connected the wire from the charger of your car somewhere inline ahead of the on-off toggle switch. Those would need to be connected to the battery posts, and if it is 24 volt, then that's a whole new story. You cannot charge those both with one set of cables. You'd need a set for each.

Radical
12-01-2010, 06:26 PM
The 12V on the car is grounded through out the car chassis and the trailer wiring is also probably grounded to the frame. If any part of your boat has metal touching the trailer, it probably will be grounded the same as the car and trailer. The boat shouldn't have any part of its grounding system connected to the boat body. You probably havbe a grounding conflict somewhere. If you can resolve the grounding problem you should consider a battery isolator like campers have to charge the boat battery separately. Hooking your boat battery parallel to your car battery I don't think is a good idea. If it is just a single 12V trolling, disconnect the motor cables from the battery.

sturgytees
12-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Buy a the right battery charger with 3 bank capability and do it at night. Buy a generator if your staying at the area and do not have a power source to charge. I would never try to charger multiple batteries while driving my truck as it will put a major strain on the alternator. The truck alternator would full field (charge at max) in the begining trying to get the dead batteries up. This should destory the alternator fast. Always disconnect the batteries from the electric motor also go out buy a 1,2 switch. Good Luck

Radical
12-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I think you have a grounding problem. Your truck and trailer are probably grounded together through the hook up and ball connection. The electrical on your boat shouldn't be grounded to the boat. Use a battery isolater on the truck and and disconnect the boat electrical cables from the boat battery.
Connect the output from the isolator to the boat battery and you shouldn't have any problems. If your boat is fiberglass, you won't have to disconnect the boat battery cables because it won't ground to the trailer. With the isolator you will not have any problems with your truck generator.

I've been using my truck and isolator to charge my camper battery for about 20 years. Your battery might not have al long a life being charged by the truck as with a reg portable charger because it will put out higher rated current and voltage than some other chargers.

When I use my 36v troll mtr it takes about 6 hours or more to charge then up fully with a 3 bank charger but is it only about 7 amps per bank. They have a 15 amp charger that would charge faster but more money.

I want to talk to the charger manufacturer because I considering use my Honda 1000 to run the charger while I am trolling.

ReelJerks
12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
A word of caution here, and I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned.
If a battery isn't charged properly (in three stages) you will drastically shorten it's functionality and life.

Edd

lheitzmann
12-07-2010, 12:24 PM
QUOTE=StikMan Modesto CA;794522]I decided to run wiring from my vehicle to my boat so while I was driving to or from the lake the boat battery would charge like my car battery does. So i ran a negative and a positive cable with disconnects to my boat battery and when I hooked it up I was a bit surprised. My electric trolling motor started running. It is hooked up directly to the 12 volt battery and has two toggle switches on board. One is forward or reverse and the other is simply on or off. I am pretty sure if I switch the power cables (place negative on positive and visa-versa the trolling motor runs in opposite direction. Having it turn on blew my mind. When I try to turn it off it changes the speed but does not turn off. This is a two way toggle switch. :foottap: I am thinking it must be some sort of issue related to the electrical circuitry on the trolling motor like it runs positive through itself and grounds to the boat. The battery does not ground to the boat but it does through the trailer when the car is hooked up to it. Does this make sense to anyone? Does anyone want to point me in the right direction before i scratch all the hair off my head? Thanks StikMan[/QUOTE]

lheitzmann
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
most all travel trailers have a charge wire from the vehicle to the battery so it charges while traveling. I have two battery's in my trailer and they both charge when moveing. you may want to consult someone at a travel trailer place about the wireing ,I know they only run one charge wire through the plug on the trk. If you are pulling your trailer with a vehicle that is equiped with a tow package then you already have a hot wire connected at the plug (charge wire)

jrj
12-10-2010, 07:13 AM
On-Board DC Alternator Chargers | Battery Chargers | Products | Minn Kota Motors (http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/battery_chargers/dc_alternator.aspx)

This is a cleaner and easier way to charge your trolling batteries.

ReelJerks
12-10-2010, 07:37 AM
On-Board DC Alternator Chargers | Battery Chargers | Products | Minn Kota Motors (http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/battery_chargers/dc_alternator.aspx)

This is a cleaner and easier way to charge your trolling batteries.
I suppose that would work just fine, but I don't think the OP wants to spend that type of cash.
If we revisit the original posting it appears that all was functioning correctly until the OP ran the +/- wires from the car to the boat. That is when the trolling motor dilemma appeared. What he is looking for is way to charge those batteries 'while the boat is in tow to the house'. If the OP corrects the wiring problem, all should work as HE expects. Although I suspect the OP would achieve much better results, and his batteries would last much longer, if he utilized a charger such as jrj has indicated. That DC charger could be wired to the tow vehicle.

Edd