PDA

View Full Version : Side X Side testing of P66 & HST-WSBL

ReelJerks
11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
This is the best I've seen when it comes to comparison testing between Airmar and Lowrance transducers with broadband sonar. Here is the link by FishTec.

I urge all Lowrance users of broadband sonar, either HDS or the BBS-1 black box add-on to read this.

http://www.fishtec.co.za/HST-WSBL%20v.s%20P66.pdf

Edd

Pal Joey
11-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Just as i was ready to spend more money I found this. Thanks Reel Jerks for posting this up now I don't (think) I need to change transducers because all I do is troll in lakes less than 500 feet deep overall. Not sure I see a real improvement to warrant this spending. Maybe I should go even more of upgrade? Hmmmmm :undecided:

pj

CRABBY
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Just as i was ready to spend more money I found this. Thanks Reel Jerks for posting this up now I don't (think) I need to change transducers because all I do is troll in lakes less than 500 feet deep overall. Not sure I see a real improvement to warrant this spending. Maybe I should go even more of upgrade? Hmmmmm :undecided:

pj+1,thanks Edd,your link confirmed other info I have seen,for the type of fishing I an many others do,trout,kokes,freshwater type fish in semi deep water water(30' to 150' or so)our stock units work just find,I for one need to learn how to use an read mine better,(LCX28HD).Don

ReelJerks
11-15-2010, 09:15 AM
I had the pleasure of Fisherwalley on The Box this past Saturday for some Trout fishing at The Flat. My purpose was testing this transducer question, and maybe take fish home for dinner.

(side note on the fishing part) I had Fisherwalley on the ropes for about 30 minutes, then, he clicked in and I was behind again, and so should the day end :sad:.

I started the day as usual with the Airmar P319 since this is the transducer I was most familiar with paired with the HDS-10. I used the P319 in the fishing area for about 2 hours and then switched to the HST-WSBL using the 200 kHz setting. Used this freq for about 2 hours and then changed to the 83 kHz setting. First thing I noticed after this change was a very abrupt color change to almost ALL yellow. The second thing I noticed was you definitely get wider coverage with the 83 kHz over the 200 kHz with either the OEM or Airmar. I got great arches with both transducers on all frequencies used.
Since I have only one MFD on The Box it is hard for me to differentiate between the two transducers when it comes to bottom target separation. They both seemed satisfactory.

Any depth ABOVE 20 feet I lost the downrigger weights on the opposite side of the transducer, (the OEM is located on the port log and the Airmar on the starboard), but both were equal at 25 feet deep of more.

It's hard to put my finger on what swayed me, but I prefer the P319 over the OEM even considering the 83 kHz freq wide angle advantage. With the P319 I had better clarity. Basically the screen just looked better.

One thing to note. Fisherwalley was using a 'vertical' ball troll I made on the port side of the boat (the OEM ducer side). With the OEM ducer the screen showed the downrigger weight as always. When I switched to the Airmar P319, that very same setup was showing on the screen as 5' thick, which is the length of the troll and the weight. This was being read from the ducer on the starboard log. The P319 side.

I'm sure what I experienced and the decision I made for preference, is somewhat influenced by what I was already comfortable.

If you already are using a HDS sonar unit, do you need to change transducers? Only if you want to.
If you are just buying your HDS sonar, should you order with the OEM transducer? NO. I think you should order without any transducer and then get the Airmar transducer of your choice, P-66 or better.

Edd

cptdarel
11-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Good post EDD.