PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinders

halibut1
10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Hello I am looking to buy a fishfinder/GPS combo that is portable I have a 14 ft alumminum boat and fish salt water sometimes in the Ocean if weather is wright, can someone direct me to one that I don't have to permantely mount on my boat.

cptdarel
10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
When you say perminant??? I have the lowrance 722c the dispay is bolted to the dash, everytime I'm done fishing I remove it and put it in a case, the transducer is perm mounted. I don't know of ant FF/GPS worthwhile that is portable. guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet.
Darrell

fish_4_alivin
10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Portable as in more than one boat? Most come right off the harness and can be stored indoors where the won't be stolen or damaged!

janbfishinfolk
10-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Haven't seen any true portable combo units. The Hummingbird 535 PT says it has one if you can find it. May be an older version no longer made. Most portables have a suction cup mounted transducer. My experience is that they don't stay on unless you glue them - hence no longer truly portable.

If you are loading your boat on, or in, a truck I understand.

Fishin Buddy has a built in magnetic compass and mounts with a big plastic C clamp. The other option is a handheld GPS.

halibut1
10-24-2007, 05:55 AM
I go fishing with people that have small aluminum boats and need to be flexible with my attachments. and I have an adjustable transducer mount that is quick on and off. I have been looking at the Humminbird 383c portable combo the only down fall is the $450 cost. although Christmas is right around the corner.

janbfishinfolk
10-24-2007, 06:46 AM
$450 is a nice chunk of change - the unit looks ok though. Nice that it has internal GPS antenna. If Santa brings me a Hummingbird 797c2 SI I'd sell my Lowrance 332c for $450 but I doubt he going to be that generous. The kids and grandkids come first.