PDA

View Full Version : Sky Carp

outdoordude
11-25-2010, 01:50 PM
WOW! hunted willows for pheasant opening and second weekend and got limits everyday and a few for some buddies. dogs were awsome, not shooting as good as I wish with the wind but sooo much fun. then the weather changed last weekend and the snows were dropping to deck level and I took three with the 20 ga #4 hevi-shot. first snows ever. breasted 10 min soak in dark rum, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, sauteed in evo, red bells and onions, threw in fresh garlic and fresh basil when done and OH MY!!! finished the leftovers just now with yoshedas OMG!!! why do they call them sky carp. Yumm

GetEm925
11-25-2010, 06:11 PM
pheasant sky carp? i have never heard that expression all i know is that they taste great any way you cook them! nice getting those wild ones they are always a challenge to hunt.

bass fishin
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Some people call Snow Geese that and Flying Bruises but then I don't know why they kill them if they hold them in such low esteem. Calling them that does nothing for hunting's image.
Personally, I've enjoyed eating every one I've killed. You're missing a good meal by only taking the breast from any bird. The legs and thighs from all waterfowl make a great hunters stew when pressure cooked or put in a crockpot. It's fast in a pressure cooker and you'll fight over the "soppins". There is nothing better than goose fat for any cooking unless it's Wood Duck, Pintail or Mallard fat from rice birds. The giblets from geese are great food that shouldn't be wasted either. Dirty rice with livers, gizzards and hearts are a great mid day brunch.

yea thats what im talking about. eat the whole thing. we dont let much go to waste when we bring something home. all the parts most people throw away are probably the best for another type of dish.

outdoordude
12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
that sounds awsome. don't have a pressure cooker but I do have a crock have to try next time.