PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Software on HDS 5x Sonar

SalmoClarki
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know who or where can update my HDS 5x? Its sonar only so there isn't a card slot even though the manual says there is. Says there needs to be another updated HDS hooked to it to update. Seems ridiculous. Any help is appreciated.

Fishmeister
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Allen at Fisherman's Warehouse, Sacramento can probably help you.

SalmoClarki
12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Called FW, no one even knew what I was talking about. I guess I'll just send it back to Lowrance. All I know is when its time to upgrade I'll be going with Furuno.

Fishmeister
12-10-2010, 03:00 PM
That surprises me, Allen is pretty knowledgeable on the HDS stuff. Have you ever talked to Dr. Sonar, Doc Bruce Samson? Here is his site: Welcome to Hightech Fishing with Doctor Sonar - "Doc" Bruce Samson (http://www.hightechfishing.com/)
I was sent to him by a Lowrance technician. He knows more about the HDS than pretty much anyone. Great site too. I have a couple of his learning CD's very well done.

Ken Sauret
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Here are the instructions on updating an HDS 5x;

Installation Instructions for HDS-5X

You will need an additional HDS unit with an SD card slot connected via the Ethernet port to update the HDS-5x. Be sure to update the HDS with the SD card slot before updating the HDS-5x.
Make sure the SD/MMC card reader is properly connected to your computer (and, if necessary, that the drivers are installed).
Insert a blank, formatted SD/MMC card that is 512MB or larger into the card reader.
Click on the "Install This Update From the Web" link below to go to the installation page.
Wait for the Java web installer to download and run. Follow the Lowrance update installation instructions. If you are not sure about a step, just select the default choice. When the installer finishes, you will be prompted to click Finish to exit.
Turn on the HDS unit with the card slot. Leave the power OFF on theHDS-5x until prompted to power on by the unit with the card slot.
Place the SD/MMC card containing the updated operating software in the SD card slot.
Press PAGES.
Scroll the pages menu to Utilities (Gear and Wrench logo), select Files. and press ENTER.
Select Memory Card and press ENTER.
Highlight the software update file (file ending in .upd) on the card and press ENTER. A message will appear giving you the option to upgrade "this display" or a "remote display".
Select Remote Display and press ENTER.
Once prompted, press and hold the HDS-5x up arrow key while pressing and releasing the power key. Continue to hold the up arrow key until the update starts on the HDS-5x (Launching external application).
If the message "Charts too big for memory. Refusing to copy charts. Press Enter to continue." is displayed, please disregard and press the ENTER key to complete the update.
When the update is complete, press the POWER key to restart the HDS-5x. Wait until the unit has restarted before pressing ENTER and removing the SD/MMC card from the HDS unit with the card slot.

Ken Sauret
12-13-2010, 06:01 PM
In addition to my post above, hold the up arrow until the unit says “launching external application” this can take a long time.

This is the number one reason that the update does not take on the 5x because people do not hold the keys long enough .

ReelJerks
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
In addition to my post above, hold the up arrow until the unit says “launching external application” this can take a long time.

This is the number one reason that the update does not take on the 5x because people do not hold the keys long enough .

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SalmoClarki
12-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Step number one is where I have the problem. I don't have another HDS to hook it to.
Who in their right mind thought of that? Step one, go get another HDS. LOL Must have been the sales department and not the tech. department.

ReelJerks
12-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Step number one is where I have the problem. I don't have another HDS to hook it to.
Who in their right mind thought of that? Step one, go get another HDS. LOL Must have been the sales department and not the tech. department.

Salmo where did you buy your HDS?

Do you know anyone who has an HDS nearby you?

If you are going to the ISE show, Lowrance can update it there.

For reference......electronics that are 'upgradeable' offer a great advantage over those that are not. The units that offer the consumer the ability to perform those upgrades generally cost a few dollars more, but I think it is worth it.

Edd

SalmoClarki
12-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I bought my HDS from Blue Heron Marine online.
Is there someone from Lowrance that I can verify it can be done at ISE?
I just don't understand that if its updatable why not have a SD/MMC slot?

ReelJerks
12-27-2010, 08:33 AM
I bought my HDS from Blue Heron Marine online.
Is there someone from Lowrance that I can verify it can be done at ISE?
I just don't understand that if its updatable why not have a SD/MMC slot?

Don't worry about the update. Lowrance CAN do it for you at ISE. As far as upgrading, you could have spent a few bucks more (about $50) and gotten the card slot as well as mapping. Well worth $50 if you ask me. It doesn't matter what you are buying, you never get all the bells and whistles when you buy the bottom of the line. While the 5X is the bottom of the HDS line, it is still near the top of the fish finder world. Again I urge everyone on this forum to do your homework prior to spending hard earned dollars on any boating/fishing related items. When you shop on line, this is even more important. Blue Heron Marine is a huge e-tailer but you won't get the same results as you can get from others.

Edd

SalmoClarki
12-27-2010, 04:02 PM
It was the only HDS with SONAR ONLY! I have a seperate GPS unit because I can't stand split screen and I like having two independant units. I didn't care if it was the same price I just wanted sonar. By the way, if I bought it from Cabelas, Fishermans Warehouse or Bass Pro it didn't matter they all don't know how to update them so whats the point. All lowrance had to do was add the SD slot and it would be fine. Just seems like bad design to me.

ReelJerks
12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
It was the only HDS with SONAR ONLY! I have a seperate GPS unit because I can't stand split screen and I like having two independant units. I didn't care if it was the same price I just wanted sonar. By the way, if I bought it from Cabelas, Fishermans Warehouse or Bass Pro it didn't matter they all don't know how to update them so whats the point. All lowrance had to do was add the SD slot and it would be fine. Just seems like bad design to me.

You have been given some good suggestions for getting your upgrade, but it seems you would rather just bash Lowrance for your mistake. I'm sorry but I can't go any further with you. In case you don't know this, you don't have to use the mapping function of the sonar/gps units. IOW you could have simply used the sonar function, had a redundant GPS, and been able to do your own upgrades for another $50.

SalmoClarki
12-27-2010, 06:18 PM
How is that not bad design? If I have to send it in to Lowrance on THEIR dime wouldn't it have made sense to just put the SD slot in the unit to save everyone the headache? Lesson learned for me. BUY FURUNO.

Ken Sauret
12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Actually ReelJerks, that was a great suggestion to have the combo unit and only use the sonar side, have the card slot for easier updating and a second GPS on board in case the standalone GPS went out for some reason. A second GPS would be especially important if the primary GPS went out and navigation was compromised because of severe weather or fog.

Sorry for your inconvenience with the process to get the update on your HDS 5x. To add a card reader would increase the price. So to keep a price point in the market was deemed more important since the unit can be updated via the process explained above.

I'm certain you can get your unit updated at the ISE show coming up.

Gadabout
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I went to FW yesterday and a very smart man helped me. He upgraded my HD5. I asked questions and he not only answer every question but I walked away understanding my HD5 more than ever. His name was Greg or Craig. Great employee and addition to Fisherman Wearhouse in Sacramento.:bananachaga::starrolling5ez::starrolli ng5ez::starrolling5ez::starrolling5ez::starrolling 5ez:

Ken Sauret
02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Hold the up arrow until the unit says “launching external application” this can take a long time. This is the number one reason that the update does not take on the 5x because people do not hold the keys long enough .

Click on this link for detailed instructions:

Installation Instructions for HDS-5X | Lowrance (http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Product-Software-Updates/Installation-Instructions-for-HDS-5X/)

ReelJerks
02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
On the up-side here, this seems to be the ONLY consumer complaint about the 5X units.

See you Thursday evening about 6 Ken.

Edd

ReelJerks
02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Here is some new information on upgrading the 5X. I talked with Eric at the FW in Fresno. He said they really aren't set up to do this.

Here's a deal. If I can get Lowrance to donate me a 6' Ethernet cable and 1 power cable, I will do all your HDS 5X upgrades as they become available. No charge to anyone. I'll start looking into this today, but let's give it a week to 10 days for any answer.

Edd