PDA

View Full Version : Vhf marine radio

Gadabout
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Was talking today with a salesman from Bass Pro regarding marine radios. He stated that the major bands of marine vhf radios will be coming out soon with their new models. Anyone heard anything about the new radios and when they will hit the shelves.
I am looking for a new marine radio for my boat but after hearing this salesman I think I'll wait.

ReelJerks
02-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Pick your favorite or best known brands and visit their websites. If new radios are within about 90 days of release, you should find all the info there. Or, you could travel to the next big boat show. Remember that West marine radios are made by Uniden.

Edd

Gadabout
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks EDD did see a WestMarine radio the #580. Unit did look good. What is your opinion on this radio and what 8' ant would go good with it.
thanks

ReelJerks
02-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I like the 580. They did away with the best feature (rotating channel knob), but I guess that's the way of the future. As for an antenna I have always liked the performance of the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225, but it's an 8 footer. They have a 5' Style 420 I think, but they are only 3 db gain as opposed to the 6 db gain 8 footers. Not that big of a deal for us lake fishermen.

Edd