PDA

View Full Version : Farallones 8/26

realdeal
08-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Went out to the Farallones today on the California Dawn for some rockie- ling action. It seems like the ling action at the islands has been very off and on this year and today was no different. There was a nice mix of olives, blues, starries, widows, and every other trype of rockfish you could think of coming over the rails today including a striking tiger rockfish, which I have never seen before. People were using swimbaits, scampis, bars, mackerel, and sanddabs all day long looking for the lings with little success except for one short period in the middle of the day, when 8-10 lings were boated including one by me on a sanddab and one by my sister, also on a sanddab. There was about 4 times when i thought I had hooked a huge ling, and when i got it to the top they turned out to be enormous boccacios. Anyways, great, smooth day on the water, saw a pod of humpbacks and the usual dolphins, and on the way back....Jaws made a brief appearance :o. Huge shark about 30- 40 yards off the side had the boat riled up for a short time. Great boat and great crew

LuLu22
08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Great report. It made me feel that I was right there with you!

slick88
08-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Did the Cal Dawn have live anchovies on board to use as live bait?

gomezfish
08-27-2007, 05:13 PM
"Huge shark about 30- 40 yards off the side had the boat "

i would of cast out in its direction! :D

realdeal
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
lmao ;D ya there was live bait on board, but the schools of olives and blues made it impossible to get them to the bottom to target the lings. Coincidentally, I noticed on another board that there seemed to have been a lot of great whites in the area lately

tkdvellone
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I was out at the islands on Sat and I couldnt get my Irons to the bottom there were so many blacks and olives attacking it on its way down. When I would get it to the bottom I would catch nice sized fish.