PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Marine radio

King James
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
My marine radio turns on and everything works, but does not recieve or send.....it's quiet....even if I turn the squelch (SP) all the way up I don't even get all that static noise. It has worked fine for years. Any idea's my fellow Sniffers?

CRABBY
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
My marine radio turns on and everything works, but does not recieve or send.....it's quiet....even if I turn the squelch (SP) all the way up I don't even get all that static noise. It has worked fine for years. Any idea's my fellow Sniffers?
James,I believe that if your squelch is off an you don't even hear static or anynoise at all,your radio is toast,,even without an antenna hooked up you will hear noise.I'm no expert but if the speaker(s) is working an all is hooked up your gonna get noise,sounds like the output side died.Sorry Don

King James
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks Don.....My initital thoughts were it's toast also, but wasn't sure....time for a new one!

Fishbucket
03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Try plugging in a set of headphones, if it has the jack for them. ( external speaker)
If it does not make sound... get out the butter.

fish_junky
03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
1st thing make sure your squelch is turned all the way down. You should hear nothing but static.

2nd Make sure the mic is screwed on tight. Some are perminate but some like my Cobra screw on. If the mic cord isn't screwed on tight you won't here anything.

Last, Before you buy a new radio, make sure your Pl-259 is scewed on tight. If that doesn't work make sure is was solderied on right. It should be solderied on the tip and the side. Hopefully you don't have one of those crappy crimp on Pl-259. Those are junk.

If want a pro to solder on your connector take it to a CB shop. L&B electronics- Sacramento truck stop, or Sacramento Performance Marine can do it.

That PL-59 is very important. If it's not done right it will burn up your recieve final and transmitte final. Means= new radio

Good Luck

King James
03-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Hey Guy's thanks for the replies!

Fishbucket....I'm getting my headphones right now!

Fish_Junky....I'll check the mike and the rest that you mentioned.

Let's hope no butter!

King James
03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Fish Junky......New radio....same problem......I should have checked the Pl-259....I'll do that next....or my ant. is shot.

Thank's, KJ

fish_junky
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Chances are your antenna is ok and it's your Pl-259. Also check your coax for cracks or cutts and make sure is not pinched.

I'd make sure and take it to Sac Performance marine or a CB shop and get a pro to put on your new Connector. Remember no crimp on.