PDA

View Full Version : Airman Tran

Gadabout
03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Would like to know if replacing my stock Lowrance trans with a Airman would make my HD5 better. Fish the Delta, troll for stripers and Kokanee fish. And if so what model Airman.

thanks,

Semperfifishing
03-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Would like to know if replacing my stock Lowrance trans with a Airman would make my HD5 better. Fish the Delta, troll for stripers and Kokanee fish. And if so what model Airman.

thanks,

Going up to the Airmar P66-Bl will greatly increase your units capability.
The transducer is the eyes and ears of your sonar system.

ReelJerks
03-10-2011, 08:53 AM
I switched the OEM for the Airmar P319 (same innards as the P66) and I really like the results. That said, I don't know how much benefit you will get when fishing that shallow? Gil will chime in on this because he IS the Airmar Dude, and I'm sure he's fished the Delta. You can't go wrong tho, should you decide to fish deeper waters you will be set.

Edd

Seon
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Fish the Delta, troll for stripers...

I bought the P66. The paddle wheel speed sensor fluctuated the speedo reading between 3-6 mph and when Striper trolling as most know, maintaining a constant speed is very important. As for the transducer, I was able to mark the bottom while running about 12-15 mph compared to the OEM ducer, where I'd lose the reading at 8-9 mph. As for marking fish, I didn't see any difference between the OEM and the P66; however, I troll in shallow waters no deeper than 20' so the marks may improve in a lake that has deeper waters.
Airmar customer service wasn't there when I asked for assistance/advice. To date, Airmar technical department still hadn't replied to my emails whereas Lowrance was quick to reply. I ended up selling that one month old P66 and re-installed the OEM Lowrance ducer and paddle wheel speed sensor. Not slamming anyone, this is just my experience.

Asked and answered.

Gadabout
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Thank you all for your info on the Airmar, right now I don't think I need one. I don't fish the ocean or anything real deep.

Semperfifishing
03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Airmar does not normally handle customer emails or calls etc..so I can see where it can be confusing to say the least.

Any questions concerning Airmar products are normally answered by GEMECO..they are the wholesale outlet for the Airmar products and are an excellent resource for information.
1-803-693-0777
GEMECO.com