PDA

View Full Version : Vhf radio input

westcoasterjim
03-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Would like your input on this VHF radio. I am looking for a unit but know very little about them. This unit may have more features then I need. Soooo what do you guys think?

Standard gx1600w Explorer 25W VHF Radio Ultra Compact Class D DSC

Thanks, Jim

ReelJerks
03-11-2011, 08:17 AM
SH is a great brand and this appears to be a feature packed radio. Check with Sacramento Performance Marine (board Sponsor) for price and availability. Nice selection.

Edd

Sturgeon General
03-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Radios are kind of like favorite baits or who makes the best truck, Ford, Chevy, GMC or Dodge.

I have never had any problems with ICom, we used them when I was in the Navy (to long ago) and I have owned three in my life. Always sold them to upgrade, never had one fail. I have an IC-M422 and an IC-M34 handheld and they are both excellent radios.

Good luck, like most anything else pay a little a cry twice pay a little more and cry once.

In other words, don't buy something cheap and end up buying it twice buy a good radio and only buy it once.

Monterey10
04-17-2011, 03:40 PM
SH is a good radio. You're looking for several qualities in a radio: Water resistance, quality of microphone, volume (can you hear it over the motor) and the newer radios list what the channel is designated for 11 (ship to ship) etc.

If you're in the shipping lanes, SH makes an award winning radio that has a small AIS built into it.