PDA

View Full Version : 24v wiring ?

Marv
03-13-2011, 11:44 AM
If you have a 24v trolling motor. Is it easier to run 1-24v and 1-12v. Or can I run two 12v's with the trolling motor and ff and radio I want to spend the least amount of cash I can but I will spend a little more for power. I just want to buy the right stuff the first time.

Fishbucket
03-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I think it's best to run seperate 24v. system for your trolling motor and a 12v system for the other stuff.
The reason being is that if you tap off one of the 12v batts. in the 24 v. system, that one battery will always be running low and pulling power to equlize off the other batt in the system.
It can be done, Just I wouldnt.

AnglingWes
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
It's really ideal to have your trolling motor batteries dedicated to the trolling motor. FF , radios and other accessories don't like the constant fluctuation in current that occurs every time the trolling motor starts and stops.

I have two 12v batts just for the trolling motor, and another 12v battery for everything else.

There's million of options on batteries, and you can spend as little or as much as you want. I have found that good charging/ maintaining system will keep batteries fresh for many years, and is more important than buying the best batteries.

The best bang for the buck for your setup is most likely going to be 3 OK 12v batteries and a good two bank 12/24v charger. You can easily spend $400 for the package.

Wal-Mart sells cheap deep cycle batteries for about $80. They are not the greatest in the world, but you can get a few years out of them if they are properly maintained.

I like Interstate Optima Blue Tops. They are usually around $150 each (Costco or Sam's). I have one I bought in 2003, and it is still reliable.

Guest and Pro Mariner, and Minn Kota make good on-Board 12/24 chargers. I would suggest at least a 20A if you want to be able to recharge low batteries overnight. Stay away from the cheapo BPS ones. You will most likely spend 150-200 here.

If budget is really an issue, invest in the charger/ maintainer up front, and go with cheaper batteries. You will maximize your investment this way, and can always replace the batteries individually later.

Marv
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Anglinwes and Fishbucket!

Marv
03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Could one just buy a 24v for trolling motor only. A 12v for fish finder, saftey lights, and radio.

Fishbucket
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
You could, but then to wont have twice the back up batterys if you need them should your main 12v go dead or something.

AnglingWes
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
You could, but then to wont have twice the back up batterys if you need them should your main 12v go dead or something.

I agree, there's some invaluable security in having redundant batteries on board.