PDA

View Full Version : 3-17-11 - Sturgeon Fishing with RIGHTHOOK - 1 keeper sturgeon and 1 keeper striper

LOVETOFISH
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
My children gave me a fishing trip for Christmas and Thursday was the day. My oldest son booked a trip with Righthook Fishing out of Martinez. Launched at 7:00 and anchored at the green buoy above the Carquinez Bridge. It was a beautiful day -- good for a change from all this rain and clouds. Well, we pulled in about 4 (maybe 5) shakers as the tide was going out, the largest at 40 inches. Later in the morning we moved to above the Mothball Fleet -- first time I've been that close to the ships. I didn't realize the the USS Iowa was anchored there -- last battleship of that class built during WWII. Anchored up again and started fishing. Caught 1 keeper striper (ate it last night -- it was great), 1 green shaker sturgeon (talk about a primitive looking dinosaur), a couple more shakers, and then my son hooked into the keeper sturgeon. It was 55 1/4 inches and weight 14.2 kg (DFG biologists stopped by the measure and weigh it -- that's 31 pounds).

Great day to be on the water, great company and now we know how to catch sturgeon.

FishWisher
03-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Congrats on an exciting trip! It's also an accomplishment to fish in decent weather lately.

And welcome to the downward spiral of sturgeon fishing. You both will likely lose your jobs and your women as you become worthless river rats, living only for that next battle with the mighty, elusive sturgeon! And that's worthy of congratulations, too! :thumbsup:

I'm trying to plan my next trip and so far it's rain for the next 10 days! I'm looking for two days of sunshine in the middle of the week. We're having a March Miracle and don't even need one.