PDA

View Full Version : Rock fishing in a 12 foot aluminum 8/12

red_dog
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I went out of Timber Cove to do some rock fishing in my little boat. *The normal good area just to the south of the cove was covered in bull kelp. *So we fished outside of the kelp and further south. *The two of us ended the day with one limit (10) of medium/small rockfish for the two of us. *No lings, cabs or reds only coppers, chinas/blackyellow and blacks/blues. *I used a large super goober while my buddy used squid. *After the fog lifted a large orange pontoon/fiberglass boat came by (I thought they were the coast guard) and drove by real slow because my reg. stickers were expired. *When they drove by I noticed a sheriff logo on the side then one of them used a pair of binoculars to check us out further. *We had a spare pole that was sitting up and I think this is what aroused their suspicion. *They headed up north without stopping us which was cool. The ride back was eye opening in a small boat, we waited too long and there were small whitecaps everywhere. *We wore our life jackets the entire time and I had my GPS and handheld radio so we were prepared. *When we went out we saw four guys in a boat almost the same size (13 foot) and none of them were wearing jackets but I did hear one of them make a reference to a cooler of beer. *

Sin_Coast
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Saw 3 old dudes in a 8 foot aluminum flat bottom launch from the rocks in Monterey last wknd. But they didn't even have PFDs. Good job on having the foresight to be prepared. And catching fish!
PK

Uncle_Sam
08-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Where did you guya launch? I'd sure like to try what you guys did.

shon42073
08-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Get out early and get in early ! You know that afternoon seabreeze is coming ! Hey I been there and it isn't fun.

triggerfish
08-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Where did you guya launch? I'd sure like to try what you guys did.
there is a launch out of tember cove,and then there is one about 1-2 miles up ocean cove? both are for small boats. no big heavy glass boats.just small alumiums and zodiacs,cayaks. etc.

Uncle_Sam
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Red Dog was nice enough to tell me in a private message. We used to launch a blow up boat in Stillwater Cove next door. Now I have a 14' Klamath. How many guys do you think it would take to carry do you think it would take to carry my boat about 100 yards from the Stillwater Cover parking area to the water? Is this a crazy idea? Does Timber Cove tow your boat from the parking area to the water?