PDA

View Full Version : New to Calif.

Dinoseeker
04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi Folks,
I've been lurking around this forum for months now and sucking up all the knowlege you oldtimers are throwing out there. Now its time for me to start asking questions..... please be gentle with me, I am a sturgeon virgin :biggrin:.
I believe I have most of the basics but so far no one has mentioned hook size....... I know...... REALLY basic but I have never seen a sturgeon so I dont know. Another related question would be bait size. (Make it for a keeper size dino tho I do plan to practice C&R) When I'm sitting in a boat is it better to be close to my bait or should I try putting some distance between my fishing area and where I am?
I have about 10,891 more questions about sturgeon fishing...... so if you oldtimers feel like sharing, trust and believe anything you have to say are things I want to hear.

deezee
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the boards! I only speak for myself, and I'm sure there are plenty of Sniffers who know better than me but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I tend to prefer the pre-made 60lb nylon-covered steel leaders that come with a 7/0 kahle hook and a weight slider about 18 inches up from the hook. I was just out yesterday around Rio Vista and found that 8 ozs of lead to be plenty enough weight to stay put (we were in a boat). We were using ghost shrimp and it took about 3 of them hooked from head to tail to cover the hook completely, held in place by magic thread. When grass shrimp is available it may take as many as 8 to cover the hook. We anchored in about 35 feet of water and tossed our lines out about 30-40 feet from the boat and waited. I confess that I missed a few good opportunities yesterday (which my buddy found amusing), and my buddy released 2 undersized fish unharmed. I hope this helps!

AnglingWes
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I am not a sturgeon guy, but there is a wealth of info to be had here. Don't be shy about asking questions.

A couple of sniffers have really good websites that provide the basics. Check out Bass Jack's sturgeon page:

Sturgeon Tips & Techniques (http://www.bassjack.com/sturgeon.htm)

Welcome to the boards and NoCal.

Dinoseeker
04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys.