PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinder settings and Downrigger balls

Starcraft27
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Hope this is the right sections for this.

Went to Bodega bay yesterday (check Saltwater Salmon Section for report) and had a couple of questions.

2 Questions.

1. I have a good FF but wondering if I need to turn it off novice mode to improve catch. It displays fish and the depth they are at. I"m simply placing bait/lure where I see the fish. Should I change the display and sensitivity to where the baitfish are because that depth is where the salmon are actively feeding? Probably takes a while to learn all the displays.

2. I know this could be a huge discussion between everyone, but my 10lb fish shaped downrigger weights aren't cutting it, a lot of blowback. Should I step up to 20 lbers or 15? I've also heard of guys using 12lb pancakes but don't these tend to tangle occasionally?

Any advice helpful. Thanks a lot.

ReelJerks
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM
1. What brand/model sonar do you have?
2. What transducer do you have?
3. How fast were you trolling?
4. What brand downrigger do you have?
5. How deep were you trolling?

RJ

Monterey10
04-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm always watching for the bait. If I can see the bait, I can usually see a few lumps laying below the bait, which would be Salmon.

I remember one day, where salmon fishing was pretty slow. We were in 200' of water. On the bottom line, there were occasional lumps showing. Out of curiosity, we slowed down our trol and let the downrigger down to 200'. Band, we caught Salmon after Salmon. I guess they were done eating and were resting on the bottom.

Starcraft27
04-17-2011, 03:36 PM
1. What brand/model sonar do you have?
2. What transducer do you have?
3. How fast were you trolling?
4. What brand downrigger do you have?
5. How deep were you trolling?

RJ

ReelJerks.

I have an Eagle 500c color Gps/Fishfinder

Not sure of Transducer, it came with it, didn't know you could mix and match.

I was in ocean with rollers so GPS wouldn't state a constant speed. It read between 1.5 and 3.5ish so I figured I was in the ballpark of 2-2.5

I have two older Cannon Marlin electric downriggers and i tried from 30-190ft depending on where I was seeing the schools on FF.

ReelJerks
04-17-2011, 03:49 PM
ReelJerks.

I have an Eagle 500c color Gps/Fishfinder

Not sure of Transducer, it came with it, didn't know you could mix and match.

I was in ocean with rollers so GPS wouldn't state a constant speed. It read between 1.5 and 3.5ish so I figured I was in the ballpark of 2-2.5

I have two older Cannon Marlin electric downriggers and i tried from 30-190ft depending on where I was seeing the schools on FF.

Good, now go into your sonar menu and UNCHECK 'Fish ID' and 'Fish Depth' if you have it.
Learn to read the sonar. You won't always see arches and this is due to boat movement, fish movement, and angle of fish movement. But you will see TARGETS as the sonar returns show on the screen and these you need to interpret. With the Fish ID on, all the fish it shows are probably NOT fish at all.

Check with Cannon to make sure your downrigger booms will support more than 10 pound weights. The deeper you troll the more blowback you can experience. There are many weights heavier than 10# on the market but they will be expensive. I use 'pancakes' and I also use braid DR line, and I'm pretty good to about 100 feet. After that I just deal with the blowback. I adjust my depth so the DR weights are shown at the correct depth on the sonar screen.

RJ