PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird 586CI Issues

crestliner
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
My buddy bought a Lund boat from, as advertised here, Gone Fishin Marine.
It came with the Hummingbird 586CI GPS fish finder.
We have had the boat out several timnes to Camanche, Melones, Tahoe etc.
In the middle of trolling the screen just goes wacky and loses depth etc.
Instead of 150' it will freak out and say 6'.
Sometimes turning it off and on will remedy it, but sometimes it just loses it for awhile.
At Melones last Saturday it kept doing this.
Does anyone have any input about this?

AnglingWes
05-09-2011, 11:25 AM
The most common cause to loose bottom is the transducer placement on the boat, or the angle of the transducer to the bottom of the boat. I assume the ducer is mounted on the transom. Make sure that the ducer is parallel with the water line, not the bottom of the boat, as the rear of the boat sits lower in the water than the bow. Also make sure the ducer is also away from the prop wash and cavitation plate of the motor(s).

BASS-O-MATIC
05-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Mine did the same thing. I reset to factory default and it worked fine. I think I over tuned it. I've heard pro's mention the same thing but usually a shallow depths with a hard bottom. Good luck hope it works out for you.

CRABBY
05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Had the same problem,we had the factory rep ck it out,an Alan Fong from FW where I got it,2 ducers,2 power-heads,an countless rerouteing of wires,power supply,diff.batt's an any thing else you can think of an no go,the month we messed around with it I had an OLD eagle FF mounted on the boat with the ducer strapped to a tent pole an to my swim ladder it worked fine for depth always,the H-bird never would,the rep blamed it on my boat,?????,but got my money back from FW an got a Lowrance,no more problems..Like to mention Fisherman's warehouse was great to work with...Don

ReelJerks
05-10-2011, 07:37 AM
..... got a Lowrance,no more problems.....Don

:exactly2pn:

....but Don, sounds a little like an 'ice chest' commercial I know.

Edd

Midnight Krawler
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Just my 2 cents worth.:shocked:

Common problems to check for outside the boat: Loose transducer bracket, Oil on the bottom of the transducer, weeds caught on, wrong angle, bad/ damaged transducer.

Inside the boat check for: Cable pinched/ damaged, cable routed next to VHF radio, Loose connectors, corrosion on the connectors, excess cable tightly coiled, power connections (bad ground).

Other causes are: engine noises and RF interference (bilge pumps, blowers, vhf radios, charging systems). These can be remedied be adding RF chokes (ferrite beads) to the power line of the ff. Also try turning on the noise filter in the fish finder.

One other diagnostic procedure is to run the ff on a separate isolated battery.

CRABBY
05-10-2011, 05:12 PM
:exactly2pn:

....but Don, sounds a little like an 'ice chest' commercial I know.

Edd
LOL,"ice chest" commercial ??? This the final step we did to eliminate everything,we put on a new ducer an cable an power head,cables an wire strung out all over an not close to ea. other,took the boat out to a diff.lake an disconnected the main batt.undid the 24 volt trolling system batteries,no power anywhere,the boat was dead in the water,drifting,we hooked up the H-bird to a fully charged new 12v batt.the only other power on the boat was our watches,no radios no handhelds no nothing,an the H-Bird still wouldn't work right,that's when the rep said it had to be my boat,a seaswirl,nobody could fig. it out.I really liked the H-Bird because it was so user friendly an easy to use,also it had side imaging.Oh well,put on a Lowrance an it's still ticking,LOL....Don

OYD
05-12-2011, 08:38 AM
That Humminbird unit uses the quick connect mount and some of the more recent power cords so not fit snug enough in the unit to make a good connection. When the unit loses bottom or acts erratically, reseating the head in the bracket usually corrects the problem. I bent the metal clip holding the power cord into the mounting bracket to stabilize my power cord connection and I no longer have the issue with my 768. I informed Humminbird of this problem-too bad the information was not passed on to all their techs.