PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fish from a Kayak?

mrlarry
07-24-2007, 04:11 AM
Gotta read about this guy's encounter with a great white:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/24/BAG8OR5OUE1.DTL

Farrier_Frank
07-24-2007, 05:10 AM
Yup, that would have freaked me out, too. Think I'll stick to the big boats. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

There was a recent PBS special on that area, I think it was called the triangle of death - between Monterey, Pacifica and the Faralon Islands. The documentary explained why that area has now become home to many Great Whites.

vdub
07-24-2007, 10:05 AM
aww man that musta been FUN ;D

abdiver12
07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
That must have been scary as hell. You never know when a shark is going to turn up and during the late fall they hunt seals in only 15 feet of water. Scary news for an abdiver like me. That's why I always dive around kelp, never open water.

HSUdad
07-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Holly bat snot! HSUsteelie and I rented Kayaks to fish near Hearst Castle two weeks ago in spite of a posted confirmed great white sighting. We kind of blew it off. They had signs them posted on the beach.

No sightings for us, but there were some seals and whales in the immediate area. Kept you looking over your shoulder for sure. Not the smartest thing we have ever done I guess. Fish in a gunnysack over the side, fish fighting a rod and line sending out distress signals ….. In retrospect I guess we maybe took it too lightly.

HSUdad

Rock_Hopper
07-25-2007, 08:22 AM
I fish from a kayak in the ocean all the time...as do THOUSANDS of others in CA and around the world.

If sharks really wanted to eat people there would be dozens, if not hundreds of people killed by sharks each year.

I wouldn't let sharks stop you from enjoying an awesome sport!

GT
07-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I agree with Rockhopper. Don't worry too much about getting killed by a shark. It's like a one in a million chance. You have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident. Besides, car accidents happen everyday and we still go out without worries.

Yaker
07-25-2007, 09:56 AM
I really enjoy fishing out there in a kayak. While the odds of a shark attack are low, there are those times I hear the theme from Jaws in my head :)

You have to be smart. Having a stringer of fish tied to the side of your boat is only going to attract predators.

GT
07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I have a question for the yakers out there:
Do you lap your catch all day (say you got a twenty pound halibut)?
How often do you straddle your yak when on the Open Ocean?

I think putting fish on a stringer invites seals or sharks and straddling the yak make you have the silhouette of a large seal.

I'm in the process of purchasing a yak but this story of a shark attack kind of freaked out my wife so I'm in damage control convincing mode right now. ;D

Yaker
07-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Putting a 20 lbs halibut in your lap can limit your ability to have children :'( (They flap and bite). For smaller fish I have a burlap sack and a milk crate in back. I also have a deck up front if I catch a big keeper. No point in creating a chum slick to yourself...

I for one don't straddle or sit sideways. The biggest reason being is that its just not comfortable for me. I know a lot of people do. For me its a comfort thing and not about preditors.

Big_Easy
07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
WOW! :o Very interesting! :-?

Rock_Hopper
07-25-2007, 12:54 PM
On the rare occasion that I keep a fish I just throw it in my tankwell. I'd never keep my fish dangling from the side of my yak, but that's more out of fear of sealions than sharks. If a sealion were to grab my fish that are tethered to my yak there's a good chance I could be tossed overboard and my yak pulled out of my reach. I'd then be S.O.L.

I straddle my kayak all the time when fishing, but admittedly don't do it as often when fishing in the ocean. Just for the whole seal sillhoutte issue. :o

Sin_Coast
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
With all due respect to the victim of the attack (fortunately he was alright), I am glad this happened. Hopefully this story will continue to spread throughout the various media outlets and fishing websites. It may keep people out of the water; leaving more fish for me!

All joking aside, I will not let this isolated incident deter me from kayak fishing in the ocean. If anything, it makes it even MORE exciting. I love fishing in the ocean. And I have considered the possibility of a shark attack. But, for me, the rewards outweigh the risks.

GT, I hardly ever bring fish into my lap. I just lip em like Bill Dance, remove the hook, and toss em back. Unless, of course, it’s a ling or hali---they get the gaff…or net if I plan to release. I fish shallow water (like <60 feet) so most of my fish are not affected by barotrauma (which is good because I've averaged about 25 fish/outing this year). When I do keep a fish or two, I put them on a game clip (like a big stringer clip) and toss em into the tankwell in the back of the boat. Some fish are too big and I store them below deck inside the fore hatch.

Sometimes I'll straddle and hang my feet over the side but its usually to stretch my legs. Lots of guys do it to increase their balance while fighting a fish but that isn't necessary in my primary yak because its very wide and stable, an O.K. Drifter.

I recommend trying it before committing to buy a kayak. Its not for everyone. But I love it; it’s the third-best investment I ever made (next to my lifetime fishing license and my house)!

Good luck!

HSUdad
07-25-2007, 02:35 PM
We're gonna do it again for sure. I am thinking I just need to be smarter. There were no hatches and it was a sit-on Malibu kayak, bare bones, seat only. We had a blast doing it, and I would do it again under the circumstances, but just be a little smarter.

Is it true you are safer in the kelp? I think I read that here. We were fishing the edges of the kelp, and caught some nice blues and a cabazone that was 2-3 Lbs. I am definitely looking at a potential purchase, but like others, I don't want the missus to see the article or she will freak. She and HSUsteelie's honey were out there doing the recreational tour type thing. If she saw the article, she would probably not do it a gain.

HSUdad