PDA

View Full Version : How to set up line for halibut???

quitworktofish
05-21-2011, 10:46 AM
hello im new to halibut fishing was wondering what ways to set up hook for halibut?? live? lure? what kind of lures?

fishyman
05-22-2011, 03:32 AM
To set up a drift rig for halibut, you first tie a snap-swivel to the end of your leader. Then you tie a dropper loop with another snap-swivel several inches above the original snap swivel. Finally, you add a length of line with a glow-in-the-dark grub threaded on, followed by a circle hook, on the end to the snap swivel on the dropper loop. To fish, you place a sinker(6 ounces or so) on the end of your leader on the snap. Then you nose-hook an anchovie on the hook and drop it into the water. When the fish bites, it will hook itself. Make sure the anchovie is alive the whole time!

For an alternative, use a three way swivel.

Good luck!
:fishing1:

Barleycorn
05-26-2011, 07:17 AM
I like a 3 way swivel setup with a torpedo sinker as it will track better than other weights.

sturgeonhunter
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I use a 3 - way swivel with a 3 - 4' leader with a 2/0 live bait hook,hook anchovy through

lower lip up through nose attach a dropper from 3 - way swivel about 1' or so but not much

more than that with a torpedo weight or ball weight ( weight depends on current and drift )

anchovy livelyier the better

Seon
05-26-2011, 04:17 PM
White Cap and I just returned from "Butt" trolling in the SF Bay.

This was our first try at it since back in the 70's file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/PAPAPC%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif. Al will probably post our day's outing later.

So in preparation on how to rig our bait, we both searched the net then cut and pasted what we gathered. The set-up was correct but the line weight was not.

At any event, my suggestion is to use 100# leader from the 3-way swivel to the bait and a 50# drop line to the sinker that prevents the two lines from twisting together.

We originally rigged our "bait" line with braid which did nothing but twist itsself and for the dropper was a 12# so if it got snagged, we'd only lose the sinker and not the entire rig...WRONG because it wrapped itself to the bait line.
Fortunately we had 50# mono line onboard so we changed the bait and dropped which minimized the two from twisting together.

I'll not dispute what others use; I'm just sharing today’s experience.

Tight lines to all.

GillzNfinz925
05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
A day on the water beats a day at work. I use a three way to 24inchs of 150lb to a siver doger and 24 inchs of 30lb to the bait of choice. 24 inch droper of 15lb and 12 to 16oz weight. The key is that you half to drop it REAL slow to the bottom.:fishing1:

FishAddict707
05-27-2011, 08:03 AM
i normally use a 3 way with the dropper being about 6-12 inches max, and 3-4 foot leader for live anchovies..

HDnRibs
05-27-2011, 09:19 AM
The easiest thing to do is just go to your local bait shop or favorite tackle store and spend $2 for one of these or the equivalent and then copy it. Some of them are halibut rigs and some are live bait rigs, but they are all functionally the same.5238

Good Luck,

BOB

fishyman
05-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Or, instead of drifting the flats, you could just go jigging deep structure, or where the sand flats turn into structure. This gets the big ones.:shrk0hr: