PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee smoking help

mxdad777
06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm sure there is something in here about brine recipes for kokanee, but after searching for the past 30 minutes I decided to search the lazy way. So let me hear it.....what is your favorite brine recipe for smoking kokanee and what is your favorite wood?

Thanks!

Yosemite Sam
06-25-2011, 09:14 AM
If you really want to do it the lazy way (like I do) purchase pre mixed brine mix from Bass Pro, or from any sporthig goods or hardware store that sells smokers and wood chips.

I use alder chips for all my fish, and they seem to do a good job.

Good luck,

YS

Steve079
06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I user terriyaki sauce with extra garlic and red pepper flake to taste. Soak for at least a day, but I like two. Right into the smoker with apple wood.

My wife made her Koke Kakes last night with some of the smoke fish. along with a little home made tartar sauce.

Kathy's Koke Kakes (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cookin-your-catch/80535-kathys-koke-kakes.html)

scnt junky
06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Here is mine I use for Kokes,Trout ,Salmon

2 cups Brown Sugar
1 Bottle Soy Vay Very Teri Teriaki
1/4 Salt (I use a little less)
(For more fish just double the batch)

This stuff I dont measure just add
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Brine for 2-3 days in fridge stirring every 12 hours or so just to keep things mixed up
You can sprinke pepper on after rinse before smoke if you want.
Smoke with Alder

Its simple but very good and doesnt have the teriaki taste, Ive given this to numerous people and they love it
Hope this helps. Let me know if you try it. Tom

Fishmeister
06-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Here is what I use for koke, trout and salmon I soak for about 8 hours rinse and dry overnight on a rack then rub the top of the fish with brown sugar before I smoke with alder for 4 pans in my little chief, about 4 hours or until it is as done as you like it. I don't make mine as dry as jerky.

2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
1 cup white wine
1 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup koshure salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 T each garlic and onion powder
few dashes of hot sauce, I prefer chalula
1/2 T ground black pepper

Nothing but complements and empty plates

Delta_Rose
06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
We just smoked our second batch of kokes from Monday. I just did a very simple dry rub of 1 part salt to two parts brown sugar and a bit of fresh black pepper, and let them sit over night. The next day my wife took them out of the brine, let them air dry a couple of hours to form a pellicle, and then smoked them in the Weber with applewood for a little over two hours. They were nice and moist and very tasty.

Dave- next time I'm going to steal some of your suggestions and get a little more fancy.

Fishmeister
06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Andrew, if you tried the smoked salmon I brought to the SOC picnic in 2010, that was the recipe. I have not tried using just a dry rub. The guy who did the tile in our bathroom remodel this year brough me some stugeon he had dry rubbed and smoked. Darned good stuff.

Winddog
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
First make sure to dry your fish, otherwise the papers get all slimmy. :-)

Delta_Rose
06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Andrew, if you tried the smoked salmon I brought to the SOC picnic in 2010, that was the recipe.

I don't think I got to try it last year. I'll try it on the next batch of kokanees- White Bear and I are hitting Berryessa tomorrow:).