PDA

View Full Version : Halibut drifting...

pnads151
06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
New to boat fishing and wanted to get some advice on the best or popular techniques for drifting halibut... Ive caught halibut off the berkeley peir numerous times but never on the boat.... Will be going out sat for some hali's... Any advice would help.

mana_kai
06-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Tie a three way swivel to your main line. From the bottom eye, tie a 12" dropper, and finish with a snap or large loop. You'll attach 6-10 oz sinkers to this (in the bay) and be able to change weights depending on the speed of drift, depth, etc.
For the business end attach a 30" leader with hook(s) to the other swivel eye. For live bait I use a single #1 (not sure on the number, about a 1/2" gap) hook through the back of a shiner, or through the lip and nose of a live anchovie. If I'm drifting a frozen anchovie or herring I'll tie the #1 hook 2"-3" above a treble stinger hook. I'll hook the single through the lips and nose from the bottom, and stick one of the trebles barbs into the back or tail, then use a small red rubber band (also used in salmon trolling, from dental braces) to keep the shank of the treble hook tight to the body of the bait.
Lower this rig slowly to the bottom with the bait trailing behind the sinker as the leader will tangle up on the main line if you go too fast. Keep your sinker bumping on the bottom, with your line slightly behind the boat. If your sinker gets too far off the boat your probably dragging the bottom and need a heavier sinker. Halibut don't seem to be shy about large sinkers or banging the bottom- might even wake them up. You can set your rod in a holder and adjust the depth. When you see a bite give it a couple feet of slack and wait a few seconds then set the hook, although with live bait halibut usually inhale it.

coldtalks
06-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Good luck. Double check weather reports suppose to be blowing hard Saturday.

Seon
06-11-2011, 04:53 AM
....Lower this rig slowly to the bottom with the bait trailing behind the sinker as the leader will tangle up on the main line if you go too fast. ....

I've only been out a couple of times and found this to big big problem for me. Yesterday's outing down Santa Cruz, I discovered that using 60# leader and dropper tied (not with a snap) directly to the 3 way swivel reduced the tangles. Also I lowered the line by backing off the "drag" until the line slowly lowered itself.
Before anyone slams the use of 60# line, I agree that if one gets a snag, it may be necessary to cut the main line thus losing a lot of line...but I'm just sharing yesterday's trial and error experience :undecided: .

I didn't catch a Butt but brought home a limit of Rock fish.

pnads151
06-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks a bunch mana... Ill be for sure giving it a shot.