PDA

View Full Version : Finally got back on the water...

Blood Vessel
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Finally launched the trusty Blood Vessel this weekend again at my home track of Lake Tulloch. Headed out with an old friend who never fishes & swears he has a bad mojo hex & never catches any fish. Determined to brake it we headed out at 8 am to my usual hot spots, four rods in the clear water, trailing worms & lures with flashers, depths from 5- 25 ft.

We battled the loads of wake boaders & personal water crafters & the wake they created for 3 hours until we got our first strike. My friend grabbed the rod only to discover a good bite out of the worm but no fish. Not too concerned because at least the bite was turning on & I had some data to set the other poles too. Literally before I have the line back out, my cell phone rings & the wife & kids are dying to take out the family boat for lunch & join the wake board maniacs. After a few cuss words I pull up my lines & head back in for some family fun.

The evening rolls around & ask my friend if he wants to head back out to break that hex & hopefully get his 4 year old his 1st fish. We splash our lines back in around 6:30 & head out towards the damn. About 20 minutes go by & WHAM!!! My fly rod starts taking off & shaking like I've never seen. Not sure how many of you troll with a fly rod, but its a blast. My friend asks me to take a hold of this one to make sure we get it in the boat. I grab the rod & the fight is on. Immediately from the tugs I can tell I have a big fish, correction a REAL big fish. I bring the fish in with ease & with about 30' of line still out I see the line is going up & the fish is going to surface. Experience tells me he's going to start kicking. The beast surfaces to a splash but no jump. I hear screams of excitement behind me as my guests have never seen a fish so big. I get the fish with in 10' of the boat & I can tell this is by far the biggest trout I've ever had on the end of my line. The monster takes a sudden turn to the opposite side of the boat...suddenly I realize all the other rods & still in the water, 2 on downriggers & the boat is still in gear. I tighten up the drag & try to muscle him to swim the opposite direction. He turns...He bucks...He rolls....& BINK!!!! Snaps my 6 lb. leader 1" below my knot. I should have killed the motor, I should have directed my buddy to reel up the other lines, I should have set my drag & let him run, I Shoulda Woulda Coulda!!!

Now there is silence. The water grows calm & the war is over. The sun is setting & time to get the little one home. Thank goodness he was there or I would have been cursing like a sailor.

After a couple of stiff Captain & Cokes to numb the pain, we laugh about "The One That Got Away", the mojo hex thats unbreakable, & how my buddy's son swears it was a shark & it bit the line. From my previous experiences I would guess this fish to be over 10lbs. On my 5 wt. fly rod that was one helluv a ride...I will keep the swivel with the broken line in my tackle box as a reminder. Sorry sniffers...no pics this time. Just a great fish story.

hanahou7
07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Great report! I am curious; how do you troll with a fly rod? Do you just let out a wooly bugger, or do you actually put a flasher on? It sounds like it would be a ton of fun to try!

HMONG_James_Vang
07-11-2011, 11:40 AM
that's one helluva story. you'll get 'em next time.

Blood Vessel
07-12-2011, 06:15 AM
The way I was taught to troll with a fly rod is you can use any rod & reel you just need to make sure you use sinking line (Not Floating). I tie a good sized snap swivel directely to the fly line, then connect flashers, with a leader & lure or bait.

We have also tied a nail knot with a very long leader & trailed wooly buggers & wet flies in the upper mountain lakes. My Great Uncle & Grandfather used to tie their own fly set ups with beads & a very small spinner.

The action of the rod can be quite fooling as you troll, but the strike of a fish is undeniable. Getting your drag set just right while trolling is key because you need to find that fine line where no line goes out while trolling, but the fish can still take some line when they strike.

It is very fun but I would note it is also very challenging. Out of all my rods, we probably lose more fish on that one.

Maybe some other sniffers can input but thats just how I do it. Most anglers think I'm crazy when I tell them what I use. Here's a nice bow I caught in the spring on this set up.5912

Blood Vessel
07-13-2011, 05:43 AM
Here is an example of a lure we made for trolling tied with a 4' leader.5929

hanahou7
07-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks Blood Vessel! I will have to try that one day. It sounds like its pretty fun, as well as challenging.

Best of luck to ya with your future fishing trips! Let us know how ya do

BASS-O-MATIC
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I've used a fly rod with a ultra light reel and it work great. You can cast a mile with little weight. Cabelas has crappie poles that kinda look like a fly rod with a handle. Like to try one out.