PDA

View Full Version : Silver Salmon

cheeseman
07-14-2011, 07:34 AM
with all the Coho's being caught in the ocean why is it that we can't keep them?

iggybabble
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Most of the ones being caught are adipose fin-clipped, which identifies them as Oregon hatchery fish.......California considers the silver salmon to be endangered here in the state

cheeseman
07-22-2011, 06:07 AM
I would agree with the state waters not having any runs, but the ocean hatchery fish should be fair game, especially if their from Oregon:)

CPR
07-22-2011, 09:18 AM
California going to a selective fishery? I'm for it, obviosly the clipped Coho are not listed, and as long as Oregon has an ocean fishery for clipped Coho why can't Cali. Only concern I could think of is if there is method that is very susessful specifically for Coho then you will have hooking mortality on the wild CA stock.

mrsockeye
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I believe that California should allow harvest of fin clipped coho. I'm sure that Oregon anglers would not be happy about us harvesting their fish. It is Oregon license dollars that are paying for that fishery, not ours. So, I'm sure Oregon fishermen would squeal a little bit, but they harvest plenty of our Sacramento and Klamath Kings out in the ocean. It only seems fair to me.