PDA

View Full Version : Humbolt Squid???

Diamondback70
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Just checking if anyone has been going out for humbolt squid. I saw that they are going like crazy down in San Diego, just don't know if they are hooking up here....anyone have any info?

fishhogg
03-29-2007, 04:43 PM
They had been MIA since feburary, hard to catch them this time of yr anyways,they vacated the banks a month ago, an scientists think they spawn and die this time of year .........

gmdcdvm
03-30-2007, 06:34 PM
I'll be down in San Diego next week visiting the family. I was planning on taking a trip out for Humboldt squid with my nephews. I'll let you know how it goes.
Gerry

squidfish
06-26-2007, 05:47 AM
the giant squid are still being caught! get out there and snag a few!

the following link goes to a page with a lot of giant squid reports for california. hopefully you find this helpful.

California Giant Squid Report 2007 (http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1002)

happy fishing to you.

cheers, glen :)

triggerfish
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
It seems odd to me,with everything else open/and biting,that one would wan't to go squid fishing? That would be about #208 on my list just above starfish!

Materalus
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
30 # mono should do it for humboldt squid, right?

vdub
06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
hell no... you might want to bump it up at least another 10 lbs

you wont catch a giant bigger than 30, but those squirters they have propell them like jetss

and yea they're still catching them, and the twilight charters are going to start this friday, that will be super fun for squid and whatever else htey run into. but if you're going to spend money for that in san diego, you should spend it on an albacore trip or a yellowtail trip. the water is blue and warm, it's a good time for tuna and yt

squidfish
06-28-2007, 02:42 AM
i agree with you ....you would have to be crazy to pass up a tuna trip.

though i imagine the squid trips are a fair bit cheaper? i would love to just catch a giant squid just so i can say i got one! i don't think i would want to eat it. maybe they make good bait or fertilizer for the garden!? :)

ocean_314
06-28-2007, 07:22 AM
50 lb test is what you should use. When they come up to bodega they are big ones up to 75 lbs. The best thing for them is a diamond jig around 16oz with silver relfective tape on it. If you dont have any umbrella hooks to tie on a cord underneath the jig use at least two 7/0 treble hooks. You will loose a few on the way up after hooking them but the diamond jig will out fish the commerical jigs many times over.