PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Elite 5 vs LCX and LMS series

Fin
08-24-2011, 12:22 PM
So I need a stand alone GPS unit. Is there any differences between the new Elite 5 and the older LCX and LMS units? Any issue with internal antenna vs. extenal (I have softtop aluminum boat). I am looking for a unit that is able to keep up with 30 mph at a fairly good zoomed status, use Navionics chips, and is fast at updating the screen. I guess if anyone has a used unit, I may be interested in buying it.

ReelJerks
08-25-2011, 07:40 AM
So I need a stand alone GPS unit. Is there any differences between the new Elite 5 and the older LCX and LMS units? Any issue with internal antenna vs. extenal (I have softtop aluminum boat). I am looking for a unit that is able to keep up with 30 mph at a fairly good zoomed status, use Navionics chips, and is fast at updating the screen. I guess if anyone has a used unit, I may be interested in buying it.

The older LMS and LCX units use the LGC-2000 or 3000 modules which update (redraw) at 1 per second, as well as the internal Elite and HDS models. On the other hand the newer external LGC-4000 can update at 5 times per second, much faster and more accurate. I have an HDS-10 with the external LGC-4000 and I can guarantee you will love it! Your softtop will not hinder the operation of either internal or external LGC module. If you buy with 'base map' option you can use your Navionics charts. If you don't already have the Navionics charting, you should check the Lowrance Insight mapping. You will be very impressed with Insight, and there are several options.

Edd

AnglingWes
08-25-2011, 07:55 AM
+1 Edd is right on.

Fin
08-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys!