PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a good pheasant recipe?

Linesider
09-28-2011, 05:40 AM
It's been years, but looking forward to getting back in to hunting this year with my 1 year old lab. Dug the 1187 out of the closet and started shooting trap to get the eye back. Joined Birds Landing and hope to have a few good hunts this season and looking for some dynamite recipes.

I've got a really good one that browns the pieces in a little bacon grease, add onion, mushrooms, chicken stock and marsala wine and braise in the oven...fantastic! Happy to share the full details if anyone is interested in that one. But looking for a few more options. Thanks in advance.

GetEm925
09-28-2011, 06:20 AM
nice i love birds landing it were we do most of are pheasant hunting. we usually fry up the pheasant and make a sandwich with mayo red onion tomato and sourdough bread delcious! a question too how do you like that 1187 was looking for a new shotgun for my upcomming birthday

Delta_Rose
09-28-2011, 11:49 AM
This was one of the first meals I made for my wife when we first met:

Lemon Pheasant

2 Pheasant breasts, skinned and sliced into inch fillets, lightly pounded
1-2 cups of milk
3-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan/Romano cheese blend
1 cup wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup chicken stock
1 fresh lemon, sliced
2-3 ounces Grand Marnier
Extra virgin olive oil for frying

Mix first five ingredients and let soak for 1 hour, use just enough milk to cover, and adjust the amount of garlic to your taste. Mix the flour, bread crumbs and cheese blend and dredge the breast fillets in the mixture, making sure to coat well. Fry the breaded fillets in extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan until lightly browned. Transfer the cooked fillets to a lightly buttered large covered casserole and season with salt and pepper. Pour the remaining olive oil out of the pan and deglaze with white wine. When the wine has reduced to one-half, add the lemon juice and reduce to one half again. Add one cup chicken stock and heat until bubbling. Pour this mixture over the fillets in the casserole, top with lemon slices and Grand Marnier. Cover the casserole and cook in a 350 degree oven until the sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand five minutes before serving. Serve over vermicelli with French bread and your favorite white wine.

Hints: Don’t fry the pheasant at too hot a temperature, or the oil will burn and give the sauce an off-flavor. This recipe can be adjusted for more pheasant, but make sure that you make enough sauce- it soaks into the pasta. If you prefer a thicker sauce, you may thicken it with cornstarch prior to pouring it over the fillets before baking.

Big Game
09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
LS'der,

PHEASANT AND MUSHROOMS - My Mom used to make.....

Welcome to Birds Landing! I have been a member there off and on for about 20 years. You will like it.
I'm wingin' this because I don't have my recipe Book (at work) but it's pretty simple -

Cut up (2) Small or (1) Large Pheasant and coat with Bisquick or Flour (in a sealed baggie)
BROWN Pheasant pieces in a large skillet with a little butter or margarine and some White Wine. Take out and place
into a bowl for later. Saute' Sliced Mushrooms and Onions in the same skillet, again in butter, margarine and a little White Wine. When Saute looks good, replace Pheasant pieces into skillet with Saute and add TWO CHICKEN BOULLION CUBES DISSOLVED IN ONE CUP OF HOT WATER. Stir and turn pieces occasionally on low to Medium Heat and you will get a nice gravy (you can add more flour if necessary for desired viscocity). Season to taste with salt, pepper or any other seasoning of your choice. Drink the balance of the White Wine!!! Enjoy!

Big Game

TheWeasel
09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
pheasant pot pie is really good, just can't remember the recipe. Made just about the same way as chicken pot pie

Linesider
10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
7087Thanks to everyone who posted recipes and ideas. I now have a reason to start trying them!

Midnight (my black lab) and I had our first hunt together this morning at Bird's Landing. Dan who was at the desk this morning said there were probably 4 birds in the small field he put us on. Said it would be perfect for our first hunt together. We zig zagged up and down that field until she finally flushed a nice rooster in the air and POW! our first of many to come, I'm sure.

We walked for another hour or so and I started thinking, these birds are either running faster than my dog, she should have been a duck dog or there weren't 4 birds in our field. Midnight and I were both starting to get bored when she got on another, a little too far ahead of me and when I finally got a bead on the bird - well...a little too far out. Only pulled the trigger once...too far is too far.

But jeez did that put new life back in to the both of us. We walked for antoher 20 minutes or so for nothing more. All in all a great day to be out with a young dog, giving her the ability to do what she was bred to do. We are both wiped out this evening. Think I'll get us both a beer!

GetEm925 - sorry for the late reply - thought I had up to be notified on this thread, but just now seeing your question about how I like my 1187.

I love it. The gun is definately a work horse. Mine is several years old now and is wood, not the composite or synthetics they are building them with now. I know they are more durable but i love the look and feel of wood. If i was to buy another gun (to compliment the Winchester) I'd buy a Beretta over/under. I think the Silver Pigeon's are beautiful and functional and the weighting is fantastic. I know, a bit spendy but it's like having a good looking lady on your arm.

Waterdog
10-17-2011, 05:07 PM
My lab Sprig and I went out to my pheasant club Hastings Island last Saturday. I am a new member there as my last club of 20 years closed the end of last season. I like this club because it is 100% free roam and they release lots of birds.
Hunt when and wherever you want about 1200 acres. Sprig flushed 5 birds and I shot 3. he was awesome, hunted close, responded instantly to whistle commands and delivered all to hand. 2 went in the smoker and the other I prepared as follows. A simple easy way to prepare pheasant - marinade in teriyaki sauce, with a little brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pepper and bourbon. Cut pheasant in half and marinate 24 hours. Grill on indirect heat around an hour at about 300 degrees. Put a pan of water in the grill and use a bunch of wood chips. You get tender, moist flavorful pheasant. I am an avid pheasant and waterfowl hunter and have literally hundreds of recipes. This is just one I made up and is easy and good. I also happened to use a 20 year old 11-87 this last weekend and it is a great gun. I have a number of great shotguns including o/u's but the 11-87 is kind of my go to gun. Never jams always performs .

Hooty
01-24-2012, 09:57 AM
This is what I do when fixen a bird for a quick meal. I cut the birds breat into small 2"x1" chunks. I put a pickeled halo pepper and a chunk of pinnapple along wit the bird together and wrap bacon around the tasty bits. Use tooth picks to hold it together. Soak it in a thick terry sauce over night and BBQ till it is browned up real good. Damn real tasty if I didn't say it myself. The halo pepper doesn't make it to spicy but it does have a light tang.

Try it I think you will like it.

Linesider
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
That sounds like it would make an old flip flop taste good! Thanks for the recipe.

spooled
01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Hell yeah, Chukkar is my favorite bird to eat. Haven't shot any in a couple years.

I'll introduce you to last years Christmas Eve dinner "phukkar." Idea stolen directly from John Madden. Stuff one Chukkar into one pheasant, make sure you lubricate this intercourse with good virgin olive oil and lots of onions and your favorite spices. Bake in a baking bag (very important to use bag) for about 45 minutes on 350 give or take some time and viola! One phukkar with four boobies, four thighs, and all the particulars.

Afterwards I usually take the carcasses and boil them in the crockpot for a
day or two adding water here and there to boil it down to a killer
broth/stock. Then I cook all my other stuff in it, veggies, soups, marinades etc

calamari
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Afterwards I usually take the carcasses and boil them in the crockpot for a
day or two adding water here and there to boil it down to a killer
broth/stock. Then I cook all my other stuff in it, veggies, soups, marinades etc

Anyone who uses the whole bird including the carcass truly respects the animal and understands how to cook. Good job!
As far as recipes, pheasant and especially wild birds are for some reason hard to make moist. I've made soup with wild birds where the meat was dry until I started to brine the birds first. Make a brine that is salty but you are still able to drink a few swallows without being put off by the salt. A weak brine. Let the bird sit in the brine over night if possible but several hours and then fry the sliced breasts and thighs in olive oil and Rosemary and make a Rosemary gravy with the pan "Stickins" and serve it over mashed potatoes. Buy some elastic waistband jeans and enjoy the rest of your life.
Save the legs until you have enough to cook in a pressure cooker with wine tomato paste and mirepoix. Serve over rice and stand back!

BIG_ONE II
02-11-2012, 06:56 AM
The feet an leg taste so good. You dont want, i take foot. Phesent is best chickin, better then the dock