PDA

View Full Version : Need Santa Cruz Info

fishn4me
06-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I am going with my family to Santa Cruz in about a week and was looking to do some fishing. I would like to do the charter thing if possible, but if not maybe fish off of the pier or something. Any information that is provided is greatly appreciated. Charter recommendations? Also if I have my regular fishing license already do I need to add anything to it so I can fish the pier or charter boats??

Thanks again for your help.

DraginBalls
06-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I would like to hear a reply, on this one iam not much of a ocean fisherman , but I will be down there this weekend to.

FishingTone
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
fishn4me-
If you already have a state of CA fishing license, you donít need any other license to fish on a charter boat. Never fished the charter boat there yet, so I donít know what the report for Charter boat or how the fishing at Santa Cruz right now but, on the Pier there Smelt, Shiner, kingfish, Mackerel and other small fishes can be catch there throughout the summer month. Since the rockfish season open a month early this year, I didn't get a chance to try it out this weekend but, Rockfish and Halibut are good in Santa Cruz in July, August and September.

Hope that help and Good Luck!

Sideliner
06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Hello Fishn4me, I usually rent the 15' wooden boats they have for rent at the pier. I take the boat north to the light house close to the kelp beds and land some realy nice rockfish. Just make sure your not on top of the kelp beds, its illegal to be fishing on top of them. As for the pier fishing is good for the smaller fish like perch & smelt, and an occational halibut with live bait caught from the pier. hope this helps you out little. Good luck and tight lines. Sideliner

gmdcdvm
06-05-2007, 05:49 AM
I have fished on the party boats operated by the Stagnaros. I forget the names of all the boats, but I think one was called the Sea Stag. Its been awhile since I have been out of Santa Cruz, but they have a good crew and customer service. You can probably search on line for their information.

You might have a choice between going out for salmon and going out for rockfish. Make sure you ask what they will be targeting if you have a preference.

You can also look up info. on the piers at www.pierfishing.com. You can ask on the message board as to what might be hot right, and they have a resouces board where they talk about the piers, location, and general catch. Sometimes the sea lions that hang out under the pier can make it difficult to land anything worth keeping.

Gerry

fishn4me
06-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Hey guys thanks for all of info, not sure what we are going to do at this point in time as I have to wait for the rest of the family to make up their mind. Thanks again.