PDA

View Full Version : found a really good spot

dirty530
09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
borrowed my dad's bike today and got to the river early (sunrise). found a great, secluded spot with plenty of room for trout to get big, even when the water level lowers.

i used the Pointer SP50 first, but it only caught a fingerling and lured a small spooked pan size trout over. i decided to try out the kastmaster flasher method and got a few great hits but i lost it due to a snag. for the rest of the day i used a small split shot to hold back a 1/8 oz egg sinker about 16inches - 2ft from the hook (used barbless hooks today because i was out of my favorite hooks). made a few casts and BAMB!!! fish on, but i set the hook while holding the rod sideways and when i turned it upright the hook came out. lost a few more big un's and only ended up with 4 pan sized trout, but great fighters!

went upstream and found an ideal spot for trout which was previously inaccessible due to high water levels. on the first cast literally less than a second after hitting the water a 12-13 inch trout cartwheeled backwards while my hook simultaneously flew back at me at a super high speed! you really encounter weird stuff sometimes when you fish..

had a great day and got my butt-kicked on the bike ride back!

pretty sculpin

TroutGhost
09-30-2011, 12:14 AM
That's a beautiful trout, regardless of size. :)

dirty530
09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
That's a beautiful trout, regardless of size. :)

ya i agree! there are bigger one's in there, but i was using barbless and they have a tendency to not stick as well.. i need to bring a float tube down so i can access the other side of the river, it has a much better area to walk along the bank/cast without worrying about getting tangled in the trees. i should be able to get some big ones outta there before Nov 15..