PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot Trout Quest - Thurs 10-13-2011

TroutGhost
10-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Met OneTrueBob at the marina around 7 AM. Algae had died and was clumping in the shallows making stinky tie-dye patterns on the surface of the water. Gave us an idea of where to avoid. No jumping trout in the stinky spots.

The lake surface was glassy, with the silence broken by trout jumping out of the water or causing boils about once every three minutes as we glided past that secret spot in the narrows between the island and the west shore. Hardly anyone around. Trolled along the east side to the secret spot somewhere around Half Moon Bay and while the boiling and splashing continued we didn't get any bites.

I thought, "if you have any flies... fling 'em now!" Unfortunately neither OneTrueBob or myself had packed our Orvis 150th Anniversary Fly rods so we had to make do with our standard issue spinning rods. A fly fisherman would have cleaned up, though. It's been that way since at least Saturday.

We trolled through a couple secret spots in Half Moon Bay, then trolled through the secret spot in the narrows between the bay and the dam, then trolled the secret spot in the narrows near Bass Cove. No joy there either. Nor did we see any rising trout. Back to Half Moon Bay.

Got a strike at Half Moon Bay and it was fish-on for an epic ten seconds. Reeled my stuff back in and changed up to a bigger offering. OTB advised to go big and flashy so I tied on my big and flashy and on the next go round hooked a trout. I loosened the drag and let it run a little then the line went limp. We both thought it was gone but what happened was that the trout was swimming toward the boat. I reeled it in fast as I could so the line didn't go slack. It gave a couple head shakes and boiled the water then I dragged it to the boat and OTB netted it for me. My personal best trout, twenty inches and four pounds exactly. Orange meat.

Around noon the boils and surface splashing died down and we got off the lake around 1. A good day of fishing. It was a tough bite. I suspect that buggy was the key.

JwG
10-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Nice job Roger!!

Congratulations on your trout PB.:jumping-smiley-011:

Thanks for the great report and picture.

Fishbucket
10-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Nice !

were you toplining or down deep?

hanahou7
10-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the report Trout Ghost! Great looking fish too.

TroutGhost
10-14-2011, 09:48 AM
No weight to get the lure down low. Was aiming for the top three feet. With all the boils it looked like the trout were keying in on bugs. No love on hardbait or kastmasters no matter how much sauce we poured on them.

OneTrueBob
10-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Great report TroutGhost and another fine day of fishing in your company. Beautiful rainbow you landed and having witnessed a PB was great for me as well. I'll bring the net next time and have it on the ready!

Tight Lines and Never Stop Reeling! :D

Koke Machine83
10-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Roger: That looks like a white grub??? They even work over there :thumbsup: Getting my stuff ready for the BIG Camanche trout derby, tomorrow!! BIG Congrats on your PB... Keep in touch and we'll see you on the water!!!!

Robbie